Service Startup

Joseph G. Earl

The NETLOGON service, on the PDC, and sometimes on BDCs, generates an error,
reporting it could not find ANY DNS servers, when in fact there are several,
of course including itself. How can I solve this problem?

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Joseph G. Earl said:
The NETLOGON service, on the PDC, and sometimes on BDCs, generates an
error, reporting it could not find ANY DNS servers, when in fact
there are several, of course including itself. How can I solve this
problem?

This can be attributed to multiple possible issues. Some of which are:

- Multihomed DCs
- Single label name AD DNS domain name
- Mixing the ISP's DNS and the internal DNS. (You must ONLY use the internal
DNS on all machines).
- Primary DNS Suffix does not match the domain name
- much more

The best thing is to post an unedited "ipconfig /all" of your DCs, and the
actual Event ID error # and Source to better assist you. They will be
helpful, and in many cases, they may be able to spot the issue right away.

Thanks

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...