    appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
    necessary to upgrade to SP3?

    Many Thanks.

    Elle, May 22, 2008

  2. Elle

    Alan Guest

    Hello Elle,

    No, so long as your PC has SP2 and you keep it fully patched, there's no
    overwhelming reason to go to SP3 right now.

    From reading the newsgroups as well as my own personal experience, SP3
    CAN -- although it's not certain -- to cause some problems with certain
    applications and also with wireless connectivity.

    Some people have problems; others don't.

    Alan

    Alan, May 22, 2008

  3. Elle

    Stu Guest

    I agree with Alan. There`s often a tendency to rush out and buy the latest
    toy and problems befall us. XP SP3 is no exception. Inevitabley there will
    come a time when MS will only issue patches specifically designed for SP3 -
    possibly some two years or so down the line is what I`ve read. In the
    meantime, if you are not confident, why not stay as you are until things have
    settled down. In the meantime, you`ll still be receiving all the security
    updates.

    On the extreme end of thngs, I threw caution to the wind and upgraded taking
    NONE of MSs recommendations. I did so purely to see what would happen.
    Amazingly nothing!! Well done MS!! Having said that. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND
    that approach to anyone - particularly when we are talking OS enhancements.
    Whatever you decide, always follow MS`s recommendations. Perhaps you would
    like to take a look here:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

    Hope this helps.

    Stu

    Stu, May 22, 2008
  4. Elle

    someone Guest

    I have AU and MS hasn't downloaded SP3 and I have made no attempt to
    download it. Windows XP, SP2. I have it fully patched so I don't know if
    MS will try to download it eventually or not, but I think I will not do so
    if MS gives me a choice.

    someone, May 22, 2008
  5. Elle

    Guest

    Elle <> wrote:

    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I know you’re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
    > time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
    > and I want to know in layman’s term what changes/problems/limitations you
    > can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
    > a hard time understanding some of the information I’ve found and read [I will
    > appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
    > necessary to upgrade to SP3?

    Well no, at least not for the first year, as I understand it. SP3
    was offered and I took it right off and haven't had any problems caused
    by it, AFAIK. There are some articles and blogs out there on problems
    that are coming up, some of which may (or may not) affect your setup;
    e.g., http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080522#story1

    rm

    , May 22, 2008
  6. Elle

    Kayman Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:40:01 -0700, Elle wrote:

    > Hi guys.
    >
    > I know you¢re probably getting tired of this question but I am having a hard
    > time deciding what to do next. I am using a windows XP Home edition with SP2
    > and I want to know in layman¢s term what changes/problems/limitations you
    > can expect or encounter when you install SP3, for the reason that I am having
    > a hard time understanding some of the information I¢ve found and read [I will
    > appreciate detailed information (such as speed, etc.)]. Is it really
    > necessary to upgrade to SP3?

    In the not-so-distant future you *will* require SP3 in order to
    download/install security updates/patches for your operating system!

    There is still enough time to familiarize yourself with preparation and
    requirements prior upgrading to SP3. But start now!

    If necessary, get somebody to interpret and explain the prescribed
    procedures.

    Things to do prior downloading/installing SP3.
    1.Make an Image backup of the hard drive/Windows Partition before you
    install SP3
    2.Test your System Restore to see if it is working correctly.
    3.Make absolutely sure the machine's free of any hijackware, Trojan, or
    virus infections before installing SP3.
    4.Run Disk Cleanup then run a Defrag session before installing SP3.
    5.Disable all real-time protections (anti-virus; anti-spyware; third-party
    firewall) before downloading/installing SP3.
    6.Reboot twice after installing SP3.
    7.Run another Defrag.

    Detailed information:
    Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldro...requisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ad-bc34-40be-8d85-6bb4f56f5110&displaylang=en

    Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8969-4ddf-beb2-8bfac9ed416b&displaylang=en&tm

    The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

    Some third-party programs may experience a change in functionality after
    you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947309

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

    How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

    Create an Automated System Recovery set using Backup
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...259b-4d55-98f9-12dbc4eb06311033.mspx?mfr=true

    How to Set up and Use Automated System Recovery in Windows XP

    Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/cc164204.aspx

    Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CE-B5FB-4488-8C50-FE22559D164E&displaylang=en

    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals
    and Developers
    (Single installations for PCs can use the same file)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

    Recover from a system failure using Automated System Recovery
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windo...50b7-4b14-a2fd-0155d6b174f91033.mspx?mfr=true

    Error message when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Access is
    denied" or "Service Pack installation did not complete"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

    If you don't like the answers provided here go to:
    Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17

    Good luck :)

    Kayman, May 23, 2008
  7. Elle

    Vicki Guest

    Hi Elle,

    I'm not a computer guru but I installed Service Pack 3 today and my computer
    wouldn't even boot up afterward. It kept trying so I finally had to go into
    Safe Mode and do a System Restore back to yesterday. It's fine now - I won't
    be reinstalling it.

    Vicki, May 23, 2008
  8. Elle

    Stu Guest

    Hi Vicki

    Sorry to hear about that. Did you follow MS`s recommendations available

    Stu, May 23, 2008
  9. Vicki - you need to call Microsoft and get help with this. Otherwise, a
    year from now, you will no longer be receiving security patches for your SP2
    machine, which will be beyond support life.

    In the U.S. or Canada, call 1-866=pcsafety.

    They can help you with this. Additionally, it will help other customers if
    your problem turns out to be one previously unknown.

    So--please help yourself and other customers, and call the support line.

    If you are not in the U.S. or Canada, call the local number for paid support
    and ask for the free support for security patch or virus issues

    Bill Sanderson, May 23, 2008
  10. Elle

    Robinb Guest

    and to add to Kayman
    I found less complications if you download the xp3 file to your computer
    Download the exe sp3 at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en
    and save it to your hd

    1. Run Ccleaner to clean out all temp and temporally internet files<

    2. Go to Documents and Settings/(your username), Local Settings/ Temp

    A. Empty all the .temp files that are listed. The ones that
    have today date will not remove.

    3. Empty the Recycle Bin

    4. Run your AVG antivirus Program and remove any viruses or spyware.

    5. Update & Run Adaware 2007 (if you have it), Spybot Search and
    Destroy, Superantispyware

    6. Put the cursor on the desktop where there are no icons and right
    click. Highlight and click ?Properties?

    Go to the Screensaver Tab- Click the down arrow until you see ?None? and
    make sure it shows up in the box.

    Next click on the ?Power? tab

    Make sure all of the boxes have ?Never? and click ?OK?

    7. Check Disk and Defrag the computer.

    Before doing this, everything on the right side of the
    taskbar that has an ?Exit? or a ?Close? needs to be removed.

    8. Once you have Defragged the computer restart the computer.

    9. When the computer loads up- you must again need to remove the
    ones on the right side of the taskbar (ONLY if it has an EXIT or a CLOSE.)

    A. If you have AVG 8.0 you will need to open the program. Uncheck the
    Resident Shield. Disable the firewall if you have the Pro version. Close
    the program. Then right click on the icon in the right side of the task bar
    and click EXIST

    10. Set a System Restore Point prior to installing the service pack.

    11, Unplug your computer from the internet.

    12. Now go to the folder where you put the exe of sp3 and double click it

    13. Follow the instructions that sp3 gives. Don't be alarmed on some
    computers it could take up to an hour to completely install and don't be
    alarmed once the computer reboots because it could take a few minutes to
    load up.

    14. Once everything looks fine- check around and make sure things are ok-
    re connect back to the internet and see if you have internet service.

    15. Defrag the computer again and reboot. (this is just so everything
    that got moved around goes back in place)

    If you follow these instructions it should load fine.

    I have put sp3 on 25 computers this way and had no problems with any of
    them.

    I put it on one computer running an amd processor but i did jeesper's test
    first before i put it on
    robin

    Robinb, May 23, 2008