Server with no authoritative DNS

Jose

In a server member I am running Netdiag in order to
install Exchange. I am getting this message
DNS Test passsed
(warning) Cannotfind a primary authoritative DNS server.
(error timeout). The name servername.domainname.local may
not be registered in the DNS

What records should I have in the DNS server? Thanks
Is there a way DNS can check itself and give me a nice
report to see if is working correct.?

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

In
Jose said:
In a server member I am running Netdiag in order to
install Exchange. I am getting this message
DNS Test passsed
(warning) Cannotfind a primary authoritative DNS server.
(error timeout). The name servername.domainname.local may
not be registered in the DNS

What records should I have in the DNS server? Thanks
Is there a way DNS can check itself and give me a nice
report to see if is working correct.?

If you have dynamic updates allowed in the AD domain zone the DC will
register all of it own records, provided you are using your local DNS, and
that the Primary DNS suffix, Forward Lookup zone name and the AD domain name
_all_ have matching names.

Since you are using netdiag use netdiag /fix and netdiag /test:dns /v and
look for errors. If you are still getting errors, post your ipconfig /all
with the name of your AD domain name and the output from the netdiag DNS
test.

Jose

Netdiag/fix worked.

Now I am getting some erros in the event log
Source DNS Event ID 6702
Source DNS Event ID 4015

If you need me to type the entire description I will do
it.

Thanks

Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]

Jose

File sharing is in both NICs. No ICS.

Kevin D. Goodknecht said:
In

What is the answer to my questions?
I need to know how file sharing is configured and on which interfaces.

In addition to those questions, are you using Internet Connection Sharing?
You can't use ICS on a server with DNS or DHCP.
If using NAT do not use the DNS proxy in NAT.

Jose

I did not setup Proxy or NAT.
I am also getting this error, it might has to do with it.
In the Server Management I click on the Monitoring and Reporting and it ask
me for credentials, I entered the Administrator info, but does not take it.
It happens the same if I clik on Backup container.
I think the administrator user might be corrupted.

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello Jose,

Thank you for your post, and also thanks to Kevin for the informative
suggestions.

Are these DNS issue resolved now? If not, please let me know the following:

1. Please let me know your network topology. Are DNS servers used by the
problematic system local Windows 2000 Servers?

2. Please refer to the following article to generate Network Edition
(MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE) of MPS report for further analysis.

818742.KB.EN-US Overview of the Microsoft Configuration Capture Utility
(MPS_REPORTS)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;818742

You can send the above information to me at (e-mail address removed) or post the
result here.

Thanks!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

|From: "Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <[email protected]>
|Subject: Re: Server with no authoritative DNS
|Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:49:02 -0500
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
|In |Jose <[email protected]> posted a question
|Then Kevin replied below:
|> Netdiag/fix worked.
|>
|> Now I am getting some erros in the event log.
|> Source DNS Event ID 6702
|http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=6702&source=
|

|> Source DNS Event ID 4015
|http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=4015&eventno=333&source=DNS&phas
e=1

|> If you need me to type the entire description I will do
|> it.
|
|You don't need to type it there is a copy button.
|Does the 4015 only happen at startup?
|Can you post an ipconfig /all?

|--
|Best regards,