Server stops accepting connections

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup' started by ReH, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. ReH

    ReH Guest

    I am not sure how to better describe this phenom.

    I have a windows2000 server SP4 that is basically a windows shares server.
    Its been having a problem for a long time in that for unknown reasons, it
    just stop accepting connections of any sort. You can't browse to it, you
    can't \\computername to it, you can't ftp to it, you can't remote registry
    to it, you can't even login at the console as it appears the GINA is
    stopped... or something... you're left with a blank blue screen at the
    console (not bsod, just blue from the stock win2000 desktop color). You can
    ping it however :)

    I haven't put much thought into it as this has been a very sporadic
    condition. A simple reboot and everything is fine for weeks/months. Now I
    am dealing with an issue where even after a reboot I get condition
    immediately.

    There aren't viruses on it as no one uses it as a workstation and trendmicro
    serverprotect is functioning. safemode boots fine. services that start
    automatically, do start ok. I don't think its hardware because if it was I
    would expect a whole system freeze and as such, ping wouldn't be working.

    Is there a particular service that could be failing that would cause this?
    Its such an odd issue and hard to define in a google search so I haven't
    been getting far there or MS's KB.

    I am going in tonight to boot into safe mode and remove everything in the
    network settings and recreate it all, though I don't think that is it.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for reading!

    KW

    ReH, Apr 8, 2006

  2. "ReH" <> wrote in message
    > I am not sure how to better describe this phenom.
    >
    > I have a windows2000 server SP4 that is basically a windows shares server.
    > Its been having a problem for a long time in that for unknown reasons, it
    > just stop accepting connections of any sort. You can't browse to it, you
    > can't \\computername to it, you can't ftp to it, you can't remote registry
    > to it, you can't even login at the console as it appears the GINA is
    > stopped... or something... you're left with a blank blue screen at the
    > console (not bsod, just blue from the stock win2000 desktop color). You

    can
    > ping it however :)
    >
    > I haven't put much thought into it as this has been a very sporadic
    > condition. A simple reboot and everything is fine for weeks/months. Now

    > am dealing with an issue where even after a reboot I get condition
    > immediately.
    >
    > There aren't viruses on it as no one uses it as a workstation and

    trendmicro
    > serverprotect is functioning. safemode boots fine. services that start
    > automatically, do start ok. I don't think its hardware because if it was

    > would expect a whole system freeze and as such, ping wouldn't be working.
    >
    > Is there a particular service that could be failing that would cause this?
    > Its such an odd issue and hard to define in a google search so I haven't
    > been getting far there or MS's KB.
    >
    > I am going in tonight to boot into safe mode and remove everything in the
    > network settings and recreate it all, though I don't think that is it.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks for reading!
    >
    > KW

    Checking the Event Viewer would be a good starting point.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Apr 9, 2006

  3. ReH

    ReH Guest

    Yes, I seemed to have left that out.

    Absolutely nothing in the event viewer. It literally happens out of the
    blue.

    ReH, Apr 11, 2006
  4. This sounds pretty serious. I suspect that one of your services
    is falling over. You might try this batch file to get a handle on
    the issue:
    @echo off
    :again
    echo %date% %time% >> c:\log.txt
    net start >> c:\log.txt
    echo ================ >> c:\log.txt
    ping localhost -n 300 > nul
    goto again

    You could, of course, use the Task Scheduler to run a similar
    batch file once every few minutes. However, the since the Task
    Scheduler might be affected by your problem it my stop logging
    events just when you most want them logged . . .

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Apr 11, 2006
  5. ReH

    ReH Guest

    Thanks Pegasus, thats a good idea.

    I brought it up in safe mode, did absolutely nothing and rebooted it and its
    fine again.

    This server once was a domain controller. Since its demotion over 6 month
    ago the lockups are much less frequent, but I was hoping the issue sourced
    in something DC services related.

    I would love to reformat it rebuild it but what to do with 150gbs of data
    spead around 100 shares....

    ReH, Apr 12, 2006
  6. Your problem points to a fundamental issue. Good server design
    dictates that the OS resides on one drive and that all data is kept
    on a different drive, perhaps even a different disk. Makes
    reloading Windows a piece of cake!

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Apr 12, 2006