Server migration - NetBios alias?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by Phill W., Dec 18, 2007.

  1. Phill W.

    Phill W. Guest

    (Apologies if I'm in the wrong place; feel free to point me elsewhere if
    so...)

    I have an application currently [still] running on a Windows 200 server.
    Client [socket] connections to this application are established using
    the host name. The underlying hardware is falling out of its support
    contract, so I need to move the application to something shiny and new[er].

    My problem is one of timing.

    On "Moving Day", I could just move the server application and then spend
    the next few days or weeks helping people reinstall their client
    application, pointing them to the new host.

    I would prefer something a little less intense, along these lines:

    Leading up to "Moving Day", my users would reinstall the client
    application, but pointing at "another name" for my current host. I'm
    thinking a NetBios alias, because my users also access file shares on
    the same host.

    On "Moving Day", I would move the server application and then "move" the
    "other name" across to the new host so that clients, already using the
    "other name", would just work.

    Does this sound reasonable? practical? barking mad?

    Any advice gratefully received ...

    TIA,
    Phill W.

    Phill W., Dec 18, 2007

  2. Phill W.

    JediK9 Guest

    Hi Phil,

    I had to do this at a place I worked at to ensure things like statis drive
    mappings and apps using UNC paths didn't all fallover. Quite a normal thing
    to do. You can go one of two ways with this (That I know of).

    1. Just create your WINS alias as a static entry (make sure you use the
    right service type)
    2. Do it in the registry of the new server (ie .. it will masquerade as the
    old server name). Check out http://www.jsifaq.com/SF/Tips/Tip.aspx?id=0062

    NB - Using a DNS alias won't work as an alias for NetBIOS based activity
    such as file/printer share mappings etc.
    NB - For consistency, when you create the WINS alias (if you opt for this
    method), I'd also create the same alias in DNS.

    Hope that helps
    Rgds
    JediK9

    JediK9, Dec 30, 2007