Windows XP Server 2003 / XP VPN Cannot see Shares

Reaction score
Seems like a simple problem to fix but, I have a server running 2003 SP2, with a few shares on drive c: but, when the remote user connects, the shares are unavailable. basically either times out or it just says cannot access the requested volume.

I've checked absolutely everything i could think of, even posted same problem on other forufums and still no luck from users.

I've tried:
- cleaning registry
- resetting file sharing permissions on all folders,
- checked RRAS setup and triple checked policies.
- cleaned remote users computer from spyware,virii, registry, etc..
- checked firewall issues between client/server.
- even tried setting up same isussue on my laptop and not even I can connect to the the shares.
- this would tell me that it's a server problem, and not the client, but where is the prpproblem?

ANY help would be reaaaally appreciated! thanks

Reaction score
You are trying to connect remote machine using Remote Desktop Connection? Can you please clearly explain....

Nishikanth Reddy
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
OK, to follow up with this issue I've solved the problem by replicating the actions onto my computer laptop. I can connect to the server remotely via windows VPN connection. I can browse the shared directories while having the security software/firewall installed.

Next: is figuring out why the remote user cannot browse the shares. If i can, and I've duplicated his scenario, he should be able to browse the shares?

would flushing DNS resolver do anything? or possibly a winsock fix or something else related to windows file sharing or networking connections?

we're running Windows XP, SP2, with CA internet Security Suite, 2007. all connections to the specific sites are listed as safe zone, ex: PPTP, and the Wifi adapter when he is at home, and the NIC at the office.

Thanks

Reaction score
I think that what you are trying to do is to share your disks over VPN using SMB (CIFS)?
I know that there may be some issues with NETBIOS and different Windows versions, but the important thing is that once you make them work they stay that way. There may be some hassle until you get it.

You say the fileserver is 2003 SP2. You are trying unsuccesfully to access the shares from an XP Pro SP2. You have succesfully connected to it from a laptop running XP Pro XP2?

If that scenario sounds correct, then I would check for differences between your 2 XP clients. In particular you need to enable File sharing and Client to Microsoft networks on your interfaces, and it wouldn't hurt to check that services with NetBios are running (NetBios over TCP). You need also to be in the same domain or workgroup. Firewall policies for NetBios are tricky. They use transient ports. I presume that your client sees your server in the Microsoft network browser. Just its shares are inaccesible, right?

The problem seems to be with the client, but you never can tell at this point. It could still be an issue with 2003 and XP.

Reaction score
yeh that's exactly right! I'll check the network interface settings once I can. As i stated before, my connection and browsing experience works ok for shares, and so will next chance I get, have them both up and verify settings in multiple places. Hopefully that will resolve something.

thanks

Ask a Question