Security settings ClickOnce

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET Framework' started by Nick Large, Oct 26, 2009.

  1. Nick Large

    Nick Large Guest

    Hi.

    I am following some guidelines on how to convert a WPF exe to an XBap
    application as I am currently researching the possibility of using MS Blend
    3 for software development, and we don't create windows forms applications,
    nor are we intending on allowing our users to run silverlight applications
    because it means a local install of the silverlight runtime that would not
    be allowed by some users (For reasons I do not know). Anyway, I followed
    this link http://www.charlespetzold.com/blog/2006/11/120718.html that I got
    from a search engine and at one point it asks to click on Advanced security
    settings and turn off the option "Debug this application with the selected
    permission set", but when I open this advanced settings page the value is
    always greyed out and checked so I cannot modify it at all. The other
    setting "Grant the application access to its site of origin" is available.

    Why would this be and how can I get around it in order to uncheck the
    checkbox?

    Alternatively if anyone knows a simplistic way of converting an exe to an
    xbap, please share.

    Thanks in advance.

    Nick Large, Oct 26, 2009

  2. Hello Nick,

    Thanks for posting! Based on the following MSDN documentation,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z17ceyya.aspx

    "In the Advanced Security Settings dialog box, the Debug this application
    with the selected permission set check box is selected and disabled. This
    is because Debug In Zone cannot be turned off for browser-hosted
    applications."

    So, as to a converted XBAP application, it is by designed that that option
    selected and disabled in the new version of Visual Studio 2008. That blog
    may talk something about a previous version. Or, it is just wrong. By the
    way, if we ignore this step, does it convert correctly?

    About converting WPF client application to Web based application topic, you
    can find some discussions from the internet,
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/wpf/thread/ef66f6a7-eb9d-42f6-
    86ba-7fbefb72fa95/
    http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/199192-converting-wpf-standalone-app
    lication-to-XBAP/

    If you need future help on this, I think maybe trying in official WPF forum
    is a better because the WPF forum is more appropriate for this question,
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/wpf/threads/

    Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Colbert Zhou [MSFT], Oct 27, 2009

  3. Nick Large

    Nick Large Guest

    Thanks Colbert,

    I actually found some information about how to go about putting an xbap into
    a html page, you need to use an iframe, or alternatively link directly to
    the xaml page.

    Thanks for confirming that it is disabled by design, I dont know why it
    would be available in one version and unavailable in the next but at least
    there is some information to go by.

    I will use the thread you mentioned.

    Thanks again.
    Nick.