Windows Vista Security check is telling me that Windows Defender is "off" Attempts to switch back on show an error

Reaction score
Tried using automatic fix. Now showing FIX 50784. Does not apply to my operating system or application version. Any other ideas please?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Tried using automatic fix. Now showing FIX 50784. Does not apply to my operating system or application version. Any other ideas please?

Did you try this

To resolve this problem yourself, follow these steps:
  1. Set the Windows Defender service to Automatic instead of Disabled or Manual. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start
      vistastartbutton.jpg
      , type services in the Start Search box, and then click Services in the Programs list.
      securityshield.jpg
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    2. Double-click the Windows Defender service, and then in the Startup type box, click Automatic.
    3. Click OK.
  2. If the procedure in step 1 does not resolve this issue, uninstall and then reinstall Windows Defender. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    2. Click Windows Defender, and then click Remove.
    3. Follow the prompts to uninstall Windows Defender.
    4. To reinstall Windows Defender.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. First option produced a message saying "Windows defender service on local computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs" Second option: Windows defender did not appear in the list of my programs for me to uninstal and re-install. So still no Windows Defender !!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its a blessing in disguise. :D

Install Bitdefender free and forget about Win Defender. :)

Ask a Question