Section Break (New Page/Continuous) Problem

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Clint Stowers, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Using Office2000

    Have a document where the I can't replace a Section Break (New Page) with
    (Continuous).

    There is a couple lines of text (Centered) then the remaining text is in two
    columns. Between these items of having a normal "Section Break (Continuous) I
    get a "Section Break (Next Page). This is not good..!

    I've tried to edit this code out to no avail.

    I've tried to copy and paste the section of this page in from a seperate file.
    The minute it hits, the Section Break becomes that of (New Page).

    Tried to Import the file in. Same as above.

    Don't know if this makes any sense to anyone. That's okay. Me neither.

    Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance

    "And.... Exactly at which point did you consider this a good idea?"

    Clint Stowers, Jul 22, 2003

  2. The best way to change a section break is *not* to try to delete it or
    replace it. Instead, place the insertion point in the section following the
    break, go to the Layout tab of Page Setup, and change the "Section start" to
    "Continuous." If this doesn't work, try copying the text from each section
    (separately, without the section break) to a new document, then reinserting
    the section breaks as needed.

    Note that if you have footnotes in a multi-column section, your Continuous
    break *will* turn into "New page." For a workaround, see
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Formatting/FtnoteSpanColumns.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)