Secret Crush

Reaction score
This last few days i was sometimes getting a message from my antivir guard saying (i can't remember exactly what the message said) something along the lines of backweb. is trying to access the internet do you want to let it,yes no also afew times i had command line utility is trying to access the internet yes no,i had said no to both of these for afew days,thinking it was probably something to do with a program i'd downloaded in the last few days which was looking for updates i said yes to them this morning.
I'd just got up this morning so can't remember exactly what happened next but i think i got a message from Windows Defender saying something along the lines off to protect my computer it asked me to reset now yes no and i think it said it would make my homepage into microsoft information about viruses and spyware,so i said yes and it restarted my computer and when i connected to the internet my homepage was a microsoft page warning me about viruses and spyware trojans and things.
I decided to run adaware SE and it found Secret Crush which i quarantened,i then did a virus scan with Antivir which said i had no viruses.
I then looked at windows Defender history and it said :
Secret Crush Alert level high, Action Taken Remove, Status Succeeded.
When i restarted my computer on my desktop i got a message with a problem about windows messenger,i guess maybe when deleting the virus or whatever it might have deleted something to do with that aswell.As i never use windows messenger i just clicked on it and went to preferences and removed the ticks for open on start up and put on toolbar(or similar wording) i thought that would get rid of the message but when i restart my computer when i get to desktop i now get the message box:
Runner Error
Could not load the target dll ("\Program Files\Desktop messenger\8876480\
6.1.0.155-8876480L\Program\backweb.dll",error Code 126)
Can someone help me with this or atleast get rid of the message so it doesn't appear everytime i start my computer and get to the desktop.

Reaction score
What Anti-Virus software do you use? Adaware SE would not normally remove software from your pc. Have you downloaded any programes recently from any site that may be "dodgy"

Reaction score
Windows Defender removed it,i've been downloading loads of stuff from all over the place and installed real media the other day.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Do you have a Logitech Webcam or similar by any chance, as the software for that installs 'backweb'....

Edit: I think we are talking about Logitech Desktop Manager/Messenger here, not Windows Messenger. Logitech use backweb as an update tool for its products - It is not a virus.
I think somewhere along you have deleted something to do with backweb, and now the Logitech Desktop Manager cannot run. You either need to remove it or re-install it :thumb:

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes,i only got my computer the other week,i have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse,the other day the batteries went flat on the mouse and i put new batteries in but not long after when i had alot of webpages up the mouse arrow on the screen would slow down and move really slowly and then stop,if i waited abit it would work normaly again but then it got worse and it was annoying me as i don't like the wireless mouse much i decided to use the logitech mouse from my old computer,the wireless adapter from my computer has a transmitter with 2 ends going into the back of my computer,i pulled out the mouse part of wire and left the wireless keyboard part plugged in,i then plugged my old mouse into my new computer,switched my new computer on and installed the logitech CD onto my computer,(probably nothing to do with it but it asked me to register and stuff on line,as i'd already done that in the past i didn't bother).

I've just looked at my programs and on startup i have Logitech desktop messenger.
Elsewhere in programs i also have :Logitech desktop messenger. also Logitech resorce center,mouseware and musicmatch jukebox.
Should i uninstall the logitech software and reinstall or do something else?

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is this any help?

Backweb Removal - This is very widely used among corporations like Kodak, WD and [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]HP[/font][/font]. The original intention of this program is to easily keep your applications updated without you having to do anything. The down side to this is many variants of are floating around and some collect information about you. I suggest doing all updates yourself and removing this application!

http://process.networktechs.com/backweb.dll.php

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
From what I understand you do not need the Logitech Desktop Manager to use the products, so I would try uninstalling it - all that will happen is that it won't automatically check for software updates etc, but you can always do that yourself from the Logitech website.

If you later have problems with the product - then re-install it again :thumb:

Edit: As a tip, I tend to not install manufacturers software from their CD's when installing hardware unless I really have to to get the functionality I require. I just use the drivers where necessary ;)

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Uninstall any "software" you do not need ... download CCleaner and run it and defrag ... Pop along to HouseCall and just check you have no other nasties ... :thumb:

You'll find a list of Anti-Spyware programs ... HERE ... :)

Reaction score
Thanks,i'll do that in abit.

I've uninstalled all logitech programs,while i was uninstalling one part of it said couldn't load that backweb but i clicked past that unstalled it all and problem is now gone.
On the mouse button on top that you can use to scroll up and down the screen,if you click on it with the logitech software it would bring up a circle with options on including back which i found handy,now that is uninstalled it does the same as the other mouse and gives those 2 up down arrows for fast or slow scrolling upto the point in screen of your choise,is there a way of getting back the option to click on top of the mouse for the faster back a page option without too much fiddling about installing a small part of the logitech software.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can pick and chose which bit of the Logitech software you install - you can try running the CD again and seeing if it gives you a 'custom setup' option - then just pick out what you want and don't install the Desktop Manager or other stuff.

Reaction score
The CCleaner looks like a good piece of software but it has given me a yahoo toolbar,how do i get rid of the yahoo toolbar please.
I right clicked near the address bar and unticked the yahoo toolbar to make it disappear but will it do any internet tracking or anything else i wouldn't want.

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
The CCleaner looks like a good piece of software but it has given me a yahoo toolbar,how do i get rid of the yahoo toolbar please.
I right clicked near the address bar and unticked the yahoo toolbar to make it disappear but will it do any internet tracking or anything else i wouldn't want.
oops, sorry, :blush: I forgot the new version is getting some finacial help from Yahoo. CCleaner is too good a program not to have in your arsonal of tools.

You missed the "tick-box" and I forgot to say, but you just untick the install of Yahoo.

Just go to Add Remove Programs and uninstall Yahoo toolbar.

Yahoo does no more or less than Google does in 'tracking' your internet movements ... if it worries you, then don't access the Internet. ;)

Reaction score
Also,this last 15 minutes,(not long after i'd installed and run ccleaner) if i open up 3 or 4 windows the 2 or 3 windows just disappear from my toolbar at the bottom of the screen,what is happening there as it is a major pain.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Also,this last 15 minutes,(not long after i'd installed and run ccleaner) if i open up 3 or 4 windows the 2 or 3 windows just disappear from my toolbar at the bottom of the screen,what is happening there as it is a major pain.
Right-click a clear area of your Taskbar ... click Properties, un-tick "Group simular taskbar buttons" ... ;)

I assure you CCleaner does not interfere with normal running of your PC especially will not cannot play with your internet settings ... it is NOT an AV tool and is NOT an Anti-Spyware tool ... it is merely a cleaner of crap.

Did you uninstall Yahoo? What Browser are you using? have you other "toolbars"?

It is possible to be infected with spyware ... for that you need spyware removal tools ... your Anti-Virus program may help with a few.

Pop along to HERE ... install/update/run SpywareBlaster, AdawareSE and MS Windows Defender ... you need all three as well as any AV you are using

This will offer at best 75% protection ... and that's the best we can do. ;)

Reaction score
Yes, i uninstalled yahoo toolbar.
I already have SpywareBlaster, AdawareSE and MS Windows Defender as you advised me to do that in the past.:thumb:

"Right-click a clear area of your Taskbar ... click Properties, un-tick "Group simular taskbar buttons"

I went in there 5 mins ago,maybe i unticked it then but i just looked after i read your message and that option was unticked.No more problems so far.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveP said:
Yes, i uninstalled yahoo toolbar.
I already have SpywareBlaster, AdawareSE and MS Windows Defender as you advised me to do that in the past.:thumb:
Good. :D

My memory is failing.

I went in there 5 mins ago,maybe i unticked it then but i just looked after i read your message and that option was unticked.No more problems so far.
jolly good ... Hopefully that will be it ... :thumb:

Ask a Question