Secondary DVD RW Causes System Freeze

Reaction score
Hoping someone will have an idea as to whats up with my rig.

Recently fitted a phillips DVD RW to my system. The rig now haw 2 DVD RW drives, a sony and the phillips.

The sony is the master, and set accordingly, the phillips, the slave, both are using the same IDE lead.

The IDE lead is attached to the mobo via the pin connector, mobo is a ASUS 939 A8N-E.

After isntalling the phillips drive, the PC now freezes during the windows startup screen, and the bar stops going from left to right, after about 5 mins it finally moves onto the Windows log on screen. Ater this the mouse pointer works untill I attempt to click on the logon name, again freezeing for a couple of mins before loging on to my windows account!

Any idea as to whats causing this freeze? The system operates fine in the bios, just locking up when windows is starting. When finallly started, Windows runs fine, as does the drive.

The slave/ master settings are correct on both the back of the physical drives, adn the bios is set to auto. Ive even tried manually adjusting the bios no effect.

Have had to disconnect the drive, the PC sitting infront of me sideless!

Ccan anyone advise as to what may be causing this annoying freeze?

Thanks! :)

.-=ManQ=-.

<a href="http://www.boltonpc.co.uk">BoltonPC</a> R
Reaction score
WHat OS are you using ?

I assume the freeze is gone whilst the drive is out ?

Have you tried the Philips as master (on its own) to see if the same freeze happens?

Reaction score
Could also be the cable, the 2nd connector is not good. Is this an 80 wire or std ide cable?

Ask a Question