searching for boot record from ide-0..OK

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have ghosted my C drive which boots with XP to a new and bigger HD, but it will not boot as I get the message saying "searching for boot record from ide-0..OK". I have heard about FDISK /MBR, but not sure how it works or what to do...I would prefer not to lose the data on the new ghosted HD.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Mark.

[mucks edit: free advertisement deleted.
sorry, adds are not permitted unless you pay us megabucks]

Reaction score
Are You Running Scsi?i Would Say You Missed Something.dID You Have The Operating System Set On Show All Files When You Made The Transfer.the Boot Files Are Usually Located On The C:
Drive And Not In Any Folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, not using SCSI. Everything seemed to have copied across okay. Can't remember what the settings were, but seem to remember that I set it to copy everything.

Reaction score
Go To Folder Options Then Settings.change The Setting From Hide
System Files To Show All Files.this Will Allow You To See The Boot.ini And Other Boot Files.... Another Thing,did Tou Use A Different Operating System To Make The Transfer.system Files Cannot Be Transfered If They Are In Use.if You Only Have One Operating System At Your Disposal You Will Need The Setup Disk
For This Operating System To Complete The Transfer To Your New Drive.remember You Cannot See The System Files Unless You Set Your Computer To See All Files.

Ask a Question