Search Companion Look-in options

Jeremy

On one Windows XP PC, when I go into the Windows Search
companion, in the look-in dropdown box among the usuals it
lists C:; D:; browse... But on another XP PC it does not
give me the specific choices of individual drives or the
option to "browse...". It merely lists My Docs, Pics,
Music, Computer and Desktop and there is no chevron or
slider bar. How can I change it so that the specific
drives and the browse option are displayed within Windows
Search Companion in the Look-in field?

Thanks

Gurjot Brar [MSFT]

Hello Jeremy,

It might be dependent on your user account is set up on the machines.

Seems like you are setup with the administrator rights on the first machines
and not on the other one.

You can user permissions by going to the User Accounts under Control Panel

~Gurjot

newsgroup purposes only.

OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

I am having the same problem Jeremy did. The Look-in box shows only Docs, Pics, Music, Videos, Desktop, This Computer, and under that C:. I can't get the Browse option, either. I used to get it on this computer, but it vanished a week or two ago. I am and always have been an administrator on this machine.

I have reinstalled the Search Companion files from the CD, but no luck. Any other ideas?

John Ski

Subject: Re: Search Companion Look-in options
From: "=?Utf-8?B?RWxpemFiZXRoIEZ1bGxlcg==?=" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 4/29/2004 3:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time

I am having the same problem Jeremy did. The Look-in box shows only Docs,
Pics, Music, Videos, Desktop, This Computer, and under that C:. I can't get
the Browse option, either. I used to get it on this computer, but it
vanished a week or two ago. I am and always have been an administrator on
this machine.

I have reinstalled the Search Companion files from the CD, but no luck. Any
other ideas?
www.agentransack.com for a free search engine that actually works.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Thanks, John. I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I've managed to fix the problem. I'd forgotten that for some silly reason I'd changed the folder viewing behavior to not show hidden files and folders. (I've always had it set to show them, because I have this funny idea that I can make the best use of my computer if I actually know what's on it.) Once I changed it back to show them, all of the usual options, including Browse, reappeared in the Search Companion

Seems that XP is really overprotective of users in deciding what should and shouldn't be hidden. I stumbled onto the solution because I was trying to save a new desktop theme, and I couldn't get to the Themes folder, where I've always saved them before. That's in the Application Data folder under the user name. When I found that I couldn't see this folder, I remembered how I'd changed the settings, and after changing them back I wondered if it would solve the search problem, too.

Jeremy, if you're still having problems, give this a try

Alex Nichol

Elizabeth said:
I am having the same problem Jeremy did. The Look-in box shows only Docs, Pics, Music, Videos, Desktop, This Computer, and under that C:. I can't get the Browse option, either. I used to get it on this computer, but it vanished a week or two ago. I am and always have been an administrator on this machine.

Start up Search and look in the Other Search Options - click on the All
Files and Folders as a start. Then in 'More Advanced Options' make sure
that Search Subfolders at least, and probably search hidden files and
System folders are checked