SD or Compact Flash???

Reaction score
Hey,

Any of you knowledgable folk know the difference between secure digital memory and compact flash memory for digital cameras? Im about to buy a camera and im extremely confused by which memory card i should be buying and though someone her might be able to shed some light.

Cheers.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
[edit - I deleted this post as I realised everything I said was wrong - so its removed to not confuse people! I thought you had a camera and were on about SD vs MMC, I forgot CF are the larger ones]

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
CompactFlash-Compact Flash memory cards are a small removable flash memory card standard based on flash memory technology, a non-volatile storage solution that does not require power to retain data indefinitely. CompactFlash cards, or CF cards, measure 42.8mm x 36.4mm x 3.3mm in dimension and have 50-pins for data transfer and connectivity. Compact Flash memory cards comprise up to five NAND flash memory ICs and a single CompactFlash controller on an ultra thin PCB. The PCB encased within CompactFlash cards also have a small number of surface mount resistors and capacitors specific to the controller model and card configuration.

Compact Flash CF cards have become the most popular form of portable mass storage card since their first introduction in 1994. Common sizes today range from 256MB, 512MB and 1GB. They are most commonly employed in applications such as digital cameras, digital movie cameras, PDAs, embedded computers, handheld GPS systems, MP3 players and other portable devices. The CompactFlash standard also encompasses other communication technologies that embrace the CF specification, including BlueTooth, modems, Ethernet, and 802.11b wireless LAN connectivity.

The CompactFlash-Compact Flash memory memory standard boasts a number of distinct advantages over other storage solutions, including: no moving parts due to solid state construction, low cost per MB, data error code correction (ECC), wear level management, low susceptibility to vibration, low power consumption, TrueIDE functionality, and a high operating shock rating.
Jointly developed by Panasonic, SanDisk and Toshiba, the SD Card weighs approximately two grams. Secure Digital SD Memory Cards are non-volatile, which means they do not require power to retain the information stored on them. They are solid-state devices, so they have no moving parts to skip or break down. SD Cards are now available up to 512mb with the possibility of up to 4 gigabytes in the near future.

A New Lifestyle is Evolving with the Secure Digital Memory Card
The heart of any SD compatible product is the SD Memory Card. It's a high-capacity, high-speed storage medium for the digital media age. Incredibly small yet durable, the SD Memory Card is about the size of a postage stamp. It can store all kinds of digital content, like video, still images, music and more! So you can transfer data easily between products with a Secure Digital Card slot.

Strong Industry Support for Secure Digital Media
The Secure Digital SD Memory Card is supported by over 650 industry-leading companies, in diverse fields, ranging from consumer electronics, personal computers, telecommunications, to photographic equipment and automobiles.

Ideal for MPEG2 Video Recording
The increasing data volume and expanding range of digital contents require high data transfer speeds. Panasonic SD Memory Cards 256MB* and higher achieve the data transfer speed of 10MB/sec, which is fast enough to record MPEG2 video in fine mode.
Whatever the camera ... make sure it can use the card. ;)

:D

Reaction score
Mucks, WHICH card? I have noticed that the more "professional" a device is, the more it tends to use CF. Like DSLR cameras. Pocket cameras use SD.

Don't think about which card to buy, but which camera. Then choose your card according to that camera. That's my to cents and a half, anyhoo:)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Don't think about which card to buy, but which camera. Then choose your card according to that camera.
Got it one ... :thumb:

Be happy with the Camera first, then get an additional card for it, then fit a card reader that will take your card. Using a card reader offers greater flexibility, especially if you have an MP3 player, or the like, that uses the same card.

;)

Reaction score
Go CF... the Canon D20 and the EOS300D use CF and NOT the SD cards... does that not say something?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Go CF... the Canon D20 and the EOS300D use CF and NOT the SD cards... does that not say something?
I am afraid that is not the right way of convincing. Even all Nikon SLR's use Compact Flash Cards, does THAT say something. I am afraid not.

The newer variety of cards were introduced to acommodate the smaller digital camera's. Compact Flash is bigger and therefore can be utilised for larger capacities more easily (due to size). The size of Compact Flash is always the largest since more research is done to increase the capacity since they are mainly now used in the SLR's and Prosumer models rather than tiny ones for snap-shooters. Compact Flash is an older version that is why is seems it is a defacto standard. Agreed it may be more common but the other variety of cards (particularly smaller ones) are mainly used in smaller digital cameras as well as smaller gadgets like PDA and now the latest T-Flash is the smallest one to be introduced by Motorola for the mobile phones. It is the size of the fingertip and needs the Secure Digital adaptor to be read by card readers, currently 64 and 128 MB sizes are available and very soon upto 512 MB will be introduced.

Buy the camera you like no matter which card it uses. If you intend to get more than one digital camera for the household it does make sense to go for a camera which uses similar card so that you could swap it if need be, which is purely from convenience point of view.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, you have kinda cleared it up a bit for me. I have made up my mind to get the canon ixus 40, which is quite a small camera cause im going travelling and want something to put in my pocket. It comes with a 16MB SD card, which is pointless, so was gonna buy a 512Mb card. Just wasn't sure whethe rSD or compact flash was the one to go for. Any good makes to look out for aswell? Saw a 512Mb compact flash fuji card for £37!!! Is that good?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If your camera comes with an SD card you ought to go for the same, am I missing something?

Assuming you need an SD card, some good brands I would go for personally are:

Sandisk
Lexar

However the price you got for that Fuji is excellent, even though I do not think Fuji makes the memory card themselves, rather outsourcing it. Anyway you may go fir it.

Reaction score
I Just got told by a mate that the canon ixus 40 only takes SD, so this whole conversation has been in vain! Dammit! Although the model up takes compact flash which has give me a whole new dilemma!! hmmmm. I hate technology!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not the media a camera uses, but the camera itself that should influence your purchase.

My Canon Powershot A80 uses Compact Flash, that's all I've ever known with Digital Media, to be honest. But both CF & SD look OK to me.

Whatever you use, don't forget to format before use, your camera will have the ability to format from it's menu.

Reaction score
Ah, thats for the tip. I think ive almost made my mind up. Amazon are selling the canon ixus 500 for £240 and a kingston 512Mb compact flash card for £30. That should be ok should it not? I know the camera is a good one, and i think kingston are a good make so all should be well?!!!

Reaction score
OK, the ixus 500 is a bit too big, i just looked at them both today for the first time. So think its gonna have to be the ixus 40 with 512Mb SD memory.

Just before i buy it, there isnt anything actually WRONG with SD memory is there? Its only for taking pictures and transferring them onto a PC etc. Any good makes anyone knows of memory cards?

Reaction score
HAve u trired EBAY Bodhi?

its v v cheap ive been looking for some mmc memory cards

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Crucial for memory cards :) www.crucial.com/uk

Nothing wrong with SD at all, I use it for my PDA and Becky uses it in her digital camera all the time.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Another good place to buy memory bodhi is here take a look named brands and cheap prices too.
They sell a kingston 512 meg SD card for £25.99 :thumb:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/

If you click on your brand of camera and model, it brings up a complete list of media available for your specific needs, all the way to Ultra extreme III sd cards for professional users in extreme cold or hot conditions.

I know that because i have one of these baby's for my cam.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always used Crucial and I also have one 64Mb module made by Maxell (I bought that when I bought the camera - half price special offer in Dixons at the time). All have been good.

Generally, stick to name brands and you should be OK :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm getting a little confused here ...

Do you want a Camera :confused:

or
Do you want a memory card :confused:

If your after a Camera then it really dosn't matter what card it uses ... they will do the job intended and some ... just make sure you get an extra card, and big enough, to do the job.
:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Lol, sorry to confuse you mucks, its all got a bit complicated. Im buying either the canon ixus 40 or the ixus 500. The 40 uses SD and the 500 uses CF. I prefer the 40 as a camera, but i just wasn't sure if SD was crap compared to CF or not. I will be buying one of those cameras and then adding a 512Mb card to it.

Ian, have you used crucial memory cards for a camera? I was gonna buy kingston, but someone online reviewed them and said they were slow? Oh, its more confusing buying a camera than a PC!!!!

Ask a Question