sd/mmc socket on pc!

Reaction score
i have a nokia 6230 with a 32Mb memory card (MMC card). i have a SD/MMC socket on my computer.i want to transfer things from my computer to my nokia memory card. for example music.once i insert the memory card into this socket how do i transfer files???????????HELP

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should be able to double click on "my computer" and the memory card should show up as an extra drive on the left hand side.

If you have Windows XP, a popup box should automatically appear and prompt you to "browse" the new card. Does this appear?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what card reader are you using ? and is it all conected properly ?

Reaction score
I'm thniking that is going to be some typ of driver needed to complete what you want to do. If you can't view tht card in My computer as mass storage device or whatever, and when you try the drag an drop nothing happens?? I'm thinking Nokia may have a driver for that phone. I have a motorolla and it came with a program to put mp3s on my phone, as well upload download images......HAVE YOU CHECKED THE USER MANUAL????

Reaction score
yes i have checked the user manual and there is nothing about this memory card..the nokia website says i can transfer mp3's using a usb cable but nothing about using a mmc socket..there is a socket next to it that says CF/MICRODRIVE if that helps at all

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
as Raje said whenever you plug in a removable storage device like a memory card or usb pen drive the PC usually picks it up and installs a driver, were any drivers installed when you first put it in. are you using XP ?

Reaction score
i dont think any drivers are installed..yes im using XP...any ideas where i can get an appropriate driver???

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i think it is a driver that XP has i'll have a look on their site for any info, put the card in and try to add hardware and search for the card

does the card show up under disk management? go Settings > control panel > admin tools > computer management then under disk management

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK, I'm a little confused here ... what "Card Reader" is in your PC?

If you have a card reader, double-click 'My Computer' and you should see "Removable Disk" listed along with your hard drive and CDROM drive.

If you do not see any 'removable disk' you either do not have a card reader or it is not installed properly.

Reaction score
its called a SD/MMC card reader..the card is from my nokia phone..there are 4 removable disk icons on my computer but they are all for USB...HELP!!!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
khakstar said:
its called a SD/MMC card reader..the card is from my nokia phone..there are 4 removable disk icons on my computer but they are all for USB...HELP!!!!
That is correct ... now do as I said, double-click 'My Computer' and you should see "Removable Disk" ... do you?

Attachments

• removedisk.jpg
    removedisk.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 155
Reaction score
yes i do see removable disk but i think they are for my USB ports..and plus whenever i click on 1 of them my computer freezes

muckshifter

Reaction score
khakstar said:
yes i do see removable disk but i think they are for my USB ports..and plus whenever i click on 1 of them my computer freezes
Your card reader is connected to a USB port inside your PC ... it has to be connected that way to work ... same as mine is and anyone else who has a 'built-in' card reader.

If I pop in any card I see nothing, unlike a Floppy or CD, but XP pops up a box asking me what to do.

Lets try something different ...
Open "device manager" and press the + sign next to USB Controllers ... do have something like mine.

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
ive attached the device manager screen..please have a look

Attachments

• USB.doc
    80 KB · Views: 170

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok, your problem is the VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller is not installed correctly as denoted by the yellow exclamation mark.

Right click on it then Properties/Driver and click Roll Back Driver ... let me know.

Reaction score
sorry i made a mistake on the roll back driver step...the yellow mark has now gone but the computer still cannot read the mmc card

Reaction score
Have you ever used the card reader before ???? All I want to know is if it has ever worked. If we are unsure then open the case and check to make sure everything is plugged in tight. I'm thinking your card reader will have one plug, about 1.5 cm wide and hase two rows of pins. That is what mine looks like, make sure it is plugged in tight and as well plugged in tight on the motherboard. (you may even want to remove, check for bent/missing pins then replug.)

Restart the computer into safe mode. After that go into device manager adn uninstall all the USB drivers with the !'s . Then go into system devices and uninstall the motherboard "RESOURCES" ----DO NOT UNINSTALL MOTHERBOARD "DRIVERs"----- Restart the computer and enter your BIOS/SETUP . Restore defualt settings, save and exit.

If it still doesn't work then---you may want to back up all your stuff and spin it. (Sorry I use the term spin for recovery/reinstalling the operating system).

Ask a Question