Scroll bar (thumb) length

Lithium

What determines the length of the vertical thumb (if that's the right word)?

Some sheets I have will move from the top of the page down to the bottom of
the data by sliding the thumb all the way down, or clicking below it.. Others
will go from the top of the page down to row 500+ when I only have data down
to row 64.

I would like to have the thumb move the window down only to the bottom of
the data.

Dave Peterson

Excel uses the last used cell--and it usually has a better memory than humans!
If you use a cell and then clear it, excel still remembers it as being used.
Well, until you do something special.

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused
For a couple of techniques of resetting that last used cell.

ps.

I call it the elevator on the vertical (or horizontal) scrollbar. But I don't
think that's the official name for that slider.

Lithium

Thank you. That site explained what to do.

But I learned something I hadn't realized. If I click *on* the thumb and
drag it down, it just takes me down to the bottom of the data. If I click in
the space *below* the thumb it goes down considerably below the data.

Shane Devenshire

To phrase the response in a different way:

If the active spreadsheet is large in a particular direction the scroll box
is small and takes you a long way when you drag it, if the active spreadsheet
is small then the scroll box is large and it only takes you a short distance.

The active spreadsheet is defined to go as far right as the last column with
something in it, and the last row with something in it. So if C1 has your
name and A10 is bold, the active spreadsheet is A1:C10, assuming nothing else
exists in the sheet further out. Note formatting counts and so do comments,
even if you can't see them.

When you drag the vertical scroll box it goes as far as the last active row
and similarly with the horizontal scroll box.

Now here is the real trick: If you want to move ANY distance in any
direction using the scroll box hold down the Shift key as you drag it. You
can go all the way to the bottom or right, outside the bounds of the active
area.

Jim Cone

That "real trick" was new to me. Thanks for posting it.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Shane Devenshire"