Screwed up - Missing Default Domain controller policy

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server' started by Perry, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. Perry

    Perry Guest

    Hi There,

    Is there a way to re-create the default domain policy and the default
    domainconroller policy's?
    When i try to open then through administrative tools, i get the file not
    found error... That could be right because i miss the files : GPT00001.DOM
    and GPT00001.inf..
    I recently discoverd that the sysvol directory was missing.I re-created the
    structure like ms says..
    I have deleted the default domaincontrollers policy, the one that wasnt
    found anymore.. And created a new Default Domaincontroller Policy ..
    The same for Default domain security policy , i deleted him and recreated it
    withing AD Users and Computers.
    But when i try to open it throught the mmc it says it cannot found it..
    I can see local group policy on the server . I can manage group policy
    through active directory users and computers...

    Any ideas would be great... and if someone can tell me how the sysvol dir
    can dissapear?

    THx
    perr

    Perry, Dec 26, 2005

  2. On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:30:17 +0100, "Perry" <> wrote:

    >Hi There,
    >
    >Is there a way to re-create the default domain policy and the default
    >domainconroller policy's?
    >When i try to open then through administrative tools, i get the file not
    >found error... That could be right because i miss the files : GPT00001.DOM
    >and GPT00001.inf..
    >I recently discoverd that the sysvol directory was missing.I re-created the
    >structure like ms says..
    >I have deleted the default domaincontrollers policy, the one that wasnt
    >found anymore.. And created a new Default Domaincontroller Policy ..
    >The same for Default domain security policy , i deleted him and recreated it
    >withing AD Users and Computers.
    >But when i try to open it throught the mmc it says it cannot found it..
    >I can see local group policy on the server . I can manage group policy
    >through active directory users and computers...
    >
    >Any ideas would be great... and if someone can tell me how the sysvol dir
    >can dissapear?
    >
    >THx
    >perr

    See tip 8061 » The Windows 2000 Default Policy Restore Tool.
    in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows Server MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
    http://www.jsifaq.com

    Jerold Schulman, Dec 26, 2005

  3. Perry

    Perry Guest

    Thx that worked.
    But i was wondering , I still cannot find any *.dom file .. Isnt that one
    neccesary?
    I can open everything now so thanks alot.

    Perry

    Perry, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Re: Re: Screwed up - Missing Default Domain controller policy

    I don't know, apparently NOT.

    I have 2:
    C:\WINDOWS\security\templates\policies\gpt00001.dom
    C:\WINDOWS\security\templates\policies\planning\gpt00000.dom

    On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:40:23 +0100, "Perry" <> wrote:

    >Thx that worked.
    >But i was wondering , I still cannot find any *.dom file .. Isnt that one
    >neccesary?
    >I can open everything now so thanks alot.
    >
    >Perry
    >"Jerold Schulman" <> schreef in bericht
    >> On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:30:17 +0100, "Perry" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi There,
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to re-create the default domain policy and the default
    >>>domainconroller policy's?
    >>>When i try to open then through administrative tools, i get the file not
    >>>found error... That could be right because i miss the files : GPT00001.DOM
    >>>and GPT00001.inf..
    >>>I recently discoverd that the sysvol directory was missing.I re-created
    >>>the
    >>>structure like ms says..
    >>>I have deleted the default domaincontrollers policy, the one that wasnt
    >>>found anymore.. And created a new Default Domaincontroller Policy ..
    >>>The same for Default domain security policy , i deleted him and recreated
    >>>it
    >>>withing AD Users and Computers.
    >>>But when i try to open it throught the mmc it says it cannot found it..
    >>>I can see local group policy on the server . I can manage group policy
    >>>through active directory users and computers...
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas would be great... and if someone can tell me how the sysvol dir
    >>>can dissapear?
    >>>
    >>>THx
    >>>perr
    >>>

    >> See tip 8061 » The Windows 2000 Default Policy Restore Tool.
    >> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
    >>
    >> Jerold Schulman
    >> Windows Server MVP
    >> JSI, Inc.