Screen-Scrapers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know screen-scrapers grab screen images but I've read where passwords can be grabbed as well. But if the passwords on the screen are obfuscated, how is this possible? :confused:

If so, how?

I'm not too terrible technical savvy so if you can dumb it down your replies (short of drawing stick figures - smile), that would be awesome and greatly appreciated. I'm doing a report and I can't find accurate info. Report needs to be finished by Sept. 8, 2009. So jump in with your honest and knowledgeable responses... no guesses please. This is a serious industry report.

If you can point me to a few link sources to read that isn't technically verbose, that would be great as well. I've got a simple mind and not a lot to work with.

Thanks for your help in advance you too cool technie gurus who chime in to help me! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
beej27 said:
This is a serious industry report.

!

You're in the worng job then if youneed us to help you or doing the wrong college course..And hey why should yu get paid or gain credit for other people finding results for you...? NIce try, but no help from me.....
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
You're in the worng job then if youneed us to help you or doing the wrong college course..And hey why should yu get paid or gain credit for other people finding results for you...? NIce try, but no help from me.....
wallbash.gif

Okay, I humbly admit I may not be knowledgeable about screen scrapers as I would like but you haven't proved you know anything either. But isn't that what learning is all about? Isn't it reasonable for one to seek knowledge from multiple sources... comparing and contrasting what's discovered so one can have an informed opinion?

Not a college course and it's not a job... I own my company and no one is paying me. I happen to be doing a report discussing encryption and screen-scraping and I'm researching/info gathering from a variety of resouces... including this forum so I'm clear on my assessments. No more details because it might be over your head or ability to comprehend. ;-)

You know, an intelligent person would have simply not responded to my request rather than to take the time to be mean to someone asking for assistance. I'm feel I'm giving those who know and opportunity to strut their stuff. I myself am always willing to help when and where I can. But hey, that's just me.

Maybe you just have nothing better to do with your time than use a computer to beat your head against a wall. Lonely perhaps? Reclusive? Passive aggressive? No friends? Life to you is limited to posting comments on this forum on an average of 216 a month? Taking your frustration out of people who can't see you is unflattering and rather cowardice. These words too big for your vocab comprehension? Research them in a dictionary and be sure to give Merriam Webster credit. ;-)

Now contemplate this thought for a moment Einstein... if I research and read information on the Internet, in libraries, from a number of resource books, even lectures in a classroom, then if what you say about giving credit makes ANY sense whatsoever, the credits would be longer than my report. You apparently know nothing about research, writing, credits and even less about spelling and grammar.

Madxgraphics, my name is Brenda and I'm not going to hide behind a pseudoname and a baby picture. I spent time writing this because it seemed to me you needed more education and I was glad to help... cuz that's how I roll.

:)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Prior to today I'd never even heard the term 'screen-scraper'.

One lives and one learns eh? :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Prior to today I'd never even heard the term 'screen-scraper'.

One lives and one learns eh? :)

Some of us learn, some of us want to learn more, and then some of us feel its better to keep what little knowledge we have to ourselves... like scared little squirrels hoarding all their nuts... or holding their nuts. ;)

Figured out why Einstein (AKA Madxgraphics) didn't want to tell me about screen-scrapers. First I don't think he knew anything. Secondly, most likely because he knows so little, he can't afford for his brain to leak anymore information because he'll be left with nothing. His cup will have runneth completely dry.

laughingsmiley.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
beej27 said:
Some of us learn, some of us want to learn more, and then some of us feel its better to keep what little knowledge we have to ourselves... like scared little squirrels hoarding all their nuts.

Figured out why Einstein didn't want to tell me about screen-scrapers. First I don't think he knew anything. Secondly, most likely because he knows so little, he can't afford for his brain to leak any more information because he'll be left with nothing.

laughingsmiley.gif

Actually I do know what screen scrapers are, how they work and why they are used. But as you have decided on just insulting me, I will leave it to somebody else or your own research.

beej27 said:
Madxgraphics, my name is Brenda and I'm not going to hide behind a pseudoname and a baby picture. I spent time writing this because it seemed to me you needed more education and I was glad to help... cuz that's how I roll.

My name is Michael-James. I choose the name MAdxgraphics for simplicity on forums. Aws for the baby picture, well if you knew anything about me or my life, then you would know that I do a lot of work for charity, one of those been a charity for abused children. The picture you see is part of the charity's logo. People that know me know that.
As for educating me. Well I have an Msc in both Psychology and Mechanical Engineering and a list of Microsoft and CISCO qualifications, and a few oythers, so I doubt you could educate me any more

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
beej27 said:
Some of us learn, some of us want to learn more, and then some of us feel its better to keep what little knowledge we have to ourselves... like scared little squirrels hoarding all their nuts... or holding their nuts. ;)

Figured out why Einstein (AKA Madxgraphics) didn't want to tell me about screen-scrapers. First I don't think he knew anything. Secondly, most likely because he knows so little, he can't afford for his brain to leak anymore information because he'll be left with nothing. His cup will have runneth completely dry.

laughingsmiley.gif

Now now, you stuck the knife in, there's no need to twist it...

Had your first post offered a little more insight into your enquiry - as the info supplied in your second post - then any people here in a position to help may have been a little more receptive.

At this Forum we do get a fair few students who've probably slacked a bit then realise their dissertation/exam is coming up fairly soon and post here begging for help.

The fair play side of me will scream 'no way' which possibly goes some way to explaining MadX's response.

Now, would you please desist from throwing any further insults and if you get lucky somebody here may be in a position to help you.

Good luck with your report.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Now now, you stuck the knife in, there's no need to twist it...

Had your first post offered a little more insight into your enquiry - as the info supplied in your second post - then any people here in a position to help may have been a little more receptive.

At this Forum we do get a fair few students who've probably slacked a bit then realise their dissertation/exam is coming up fairly soon and post here begging for help.

The fair play side of me will scream 'no way' which possibly goes some way to explaining MadX's response.

Now, would you please desist from throwing any further insults and if you get lucky somebody here may be in a position to help you.

Good luck with your report.

Thank you kindly for your guidance. I rarely back down when someone thinks it's funny to go out of their way to smack someone asking for help. I never approached him personally so what he did was juvenile and uncalled for... and I admit I sunk to his level... nor do I regret doing so.

I didn't realize the question warranted a lot of detail and background info. This is my first forum experience. I also didn't know students run to these forums to get help with their assignments. How would I know this? I'm 56, and there was no such thing as on-line forums when I was in school. And when I was, I was pretty good about finishing assignments on time... as I possess pretty decent time management skills. ;-)

If it were me and I knew something and it didn't involve a lot of time, I would help... no big deal. If it did involve a lot of time and I didn't have it, I wouldn't reply to the post. Sometimes people don't know what they don't know. Even to say it requires a lengthy explanation or provide a good management is better than the unwarranted response Madxgraphics sent.

As to my question, I feel it was straight forward. Do screen-scrapers capture obfuscated passwords and if so how? Any good links?

Or if there is a reliable source/link, just point me in that direction. I've invested hours reading conflicting info. This appeared to be a forum comprised of knowledgeable people willing to help not eager to be spiteful. I got help on another issue today which I invested 4 hours researching before I found someone else had the same problem and someone on this site gave a great answer that worked. So I thought I would kick around the screen-scraper question.

So no need to defend Madxgraphics and assume a position of rationalization for his actions.

Max should have just ignored the post... period. But he went out of his way to poke and jab he found he met his match.

Thank you again for explaining the student issue. Shame on them... There is no excuse for laziness and procrastination. Although I often time find myself guilty of the latter but I'm very much on top of my business priorities and rarely drop any balls and try to pick them up at the bewitching hour. ;)

brenda

Last edited:
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Actually I do know what screen scrapers are, how they work and why they are used. But as you have decided on just insulting me, I will leave it to somebody else or your own research.

My name is Michael-James. I choose the name MAdxgraphics for simplicity on forums. Aws for the baby picture, well if you knew anything about me or my life, then you would know that I do a lot of work for charity, one of those been a charity for abused children. The picture you see is part of the charity's logo. People that know me know that.
As for educating me. Well I have an Msc in both Psychology and Mechanical Engineering and a list of Microsoft and CISCO qualifications, and a few oythers, so I doubt you could educate me any more

My grandma had a saying... "You're never too old to learn and you can learn something from everyone."

As for telling me you know about screen-scrapers, you were pretty clear in the beginning you weren't going to help although I didn't ask for help from you explicitly. So why continue this discussion? You won't help, you know but won't help because I insulted you?

Now how did this all being again?

Lets see, I asked a few questions, I didn't seek you out personally, you responded saying you weren't going to help, I thought it was rude and unsolicited and expressed so...

Lets put this to bed. I'll find the answers I want elsewhere. Seems this is a tight knit on-line community. ;-) I'll just have to a little more resourceful and tenatious. My standard mode to get questions answered.

Do I have to apologize for the comment about the spelling and grammar? I'm almost tempted but you have a lot of education and I realize that doesn't make one a great speller but there is that little spell-check button not far from the posting section. ;-)

Good for you and your volunteer efforts. I find volunteerism commendable. I won't write out my list of charitable activities. Lets just say this is something positive we share in common.

:)

All the best Michael-James...

brenda

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Before this thread reaches it's end, I really do feel I must comment on a few points raised.

beej27 said:
I didn't realize the question warranted a lot of detail and background info.

It didn't, all I pointed out was that had you given the reasons for seeking the info you do it would have given forum members an insight into the fact you were compiling a report for your company and you were not a lazy student. As I pointed out earlier, we get quite a few lazy students coming here seeking shortcuts to hard work.

beej27 said:
This is my first forum experience. I also didn't know students run to these forums to get help with their assignments. How would I know this? I'm 56, and there was no such thing as on-line forums when I was in school.

I'm two years older than you so snap, no forums when I left school at 17 either.

beej27 said:
So no need to defend Madxgraphics and assume a position of rationalization for his actions.

Max should have just ignored the post... period. But he went out of his way to poke and jab he found he met his match.

I object strongly to that assumption, I was most definitely NOT defending MadX, just trying to offer a possible explanation why he answered in the way he did.

If you want to know the truth about how I feel about MadX's reply I personally think he was bang out of order, no need for a rude reply, it saddens me when Forum members reply to newcomers in that manner because, on the whole, as a Forum, the greater majority of people here are very helpful.

I will not side with long standing members out of some misguided loyalty, all I will try and do is point out who I think is in the right, be it somebody who's been here years or somebody who's just joined.

I see Feckit, another one of our long standing members, has weighed in with a couple of useful comments :rolleyes:, one of which he's had the good sense to delete.

beej27 said:
Thank you again for explaining the student issue. Shame on them... There is no excuse for laziness and procrastination. Although I often time find myself guilty of the latter but I'm very much on top of my business priorities and rarely drop any balls and try to pick them up at the bewitching hour. ;)

brenda

Fair nuff ;)

Brenda, good luck with your research and on behalf of PC Review UK, I apologise for your unpleasant experience here.

Reaction score
beej27 said:
Do I have to apologize

Definately not. If anything I should be the one apologising to you. As FBS pointed out, I was bang out of order.
Anyway as you said, lets put this to bed. So with that I hope you accept my appology............MadX :thumb:

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Definately not. If anything I should be the one apologising to you. As FBS pointed out, I was bang out of order.
Anyway as you said, lets put this to bed. So with that I hope you accept my appology............MadX :thumb:

Apology accepted.:)

brenda

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Bravo!

It takes a lot to sincerely apologize, and also to be sincerely forgiving!

I like that, both of you have earned my respect!
nod.gif

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Makes a lot of sense, does it not ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Googling "screen-scrapers" throws up 700,000 results on my pc. ;)

Mind you those links may not contain enough information for a serious study. ;)

user.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question