Screen resolution fix, howto do it at deployment

Gereon

I discovered that for whatever reason, XP Embedded fails to configure the
desired resolution and refresh rate for some of our LCD monitors (1920 X
1200, 60 hz). I can see the failure in the FBA log.

By observing what happens in regular XP when I clear the "Hide Modes That
The Monitor Cannot Display" checkbox on regular XP, I discovered that if I
go into the registry on my XPE system after it is installed and add a DWORD
entry called "PruningMode" (value of 0) to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{some guid}\0000

that on the next reboot the XPE system would achieve the proper resolution.

I guess my question is, am I doing this the hard way? If this is indeed a
good solution to the problem, what can I do in a component that will force
this entry to show up in the proper place without me going back and tweaking
it by hand?

KM

Gereon,

I see. Then IIRC there is some reg.tweaks available for the RADEON 9x00.

In the component you created out of the driver package, in C2_21277.inf or CX_21277.inf file (I don't recall which one but you can
try both) find [ati2mtag_DEFAULT_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section and add the following line there:
HKR,, PruningMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Then redeploy the image. Let us know if it helps.

KM

KM

Btw, are you sure you saw the PruningMode value under [HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{some guid}\0000] ?
Because I seem to see it under [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Video] (getting read by
themeui.dll - "Display Control Panel" component). You can give it a shoot too.

KM, BSquare Corp.

Gereon,

I see. Then IIRC there is some reg.tweaks available for the RADEON 9x00.

In the component you created out of the driver package, in C2_21277.inf or CX_21277.inf file (I don't recall which one but you can
try both) find [ati2mtag_DEFAULT_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section and add the following line there:
HKR,, PruningMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Then redeploy the image. Let us know if it helps.

KM
Radeon 9800 Pro.

Gereon

I was able to get this to work by following the spirit of the advice. I'm
using the built- in Windows ATI component for the 9800 Pro, which uses
atiixpag.inf. I force it to install my own copy of the file. It had an
[ati2mtag_DEFAULT_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section, but adding the key to
that one didn't work. But adding it to [ati2mtag_SoftwareDeviceSettings]
did.

Thanks KM!

KM said:
Gereon,

I see. Then IIRC there is some reg.tweaks available for the RADEON 9x00.

In the component you created out of the driver package, in C2_21277.inf or
CX_21277.inf file (I don't recall which one but you can try both) find
[ati2mtag_DEFAULT_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section and add the following
line there:
HKR,, PruningMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Then redeploy the image. Let us know if it helps.

KM
Radeon 9800 Pro.

KM

Gereon,

Ahh.. Sorry for the DEFAULT "bug". I actually meant the [ati2mtag_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section but copied/pasted the DEFAULT one
from the INF file.
I am glad you figured that out :)

KM, BSquare Corp.

KM said:
Gereon,

I see. Then IIRC there is some reg.tweaks available for the RADEON 9x00.

In the component you created out of the driver package, in C2_21277.inf or
CX_21277.inf file (I don't recall which one but you can try both) find
[ati2mtag_DEFAULT_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section and add the following
line there:
HKR,, PruningMode, %REG_DWORD%, 0

Then redeploy the image. Let us know if it helps.

KM
Radeon 9800 Pro.

Gereon,

What is the video card you have on the target?

KM

[...]

I used INCTRL to detect the change, and that's where it reported it. I
looked in my regular XP install on the target box, and under
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control
Panel\Settings\Video] there is basically only an entry for the monitor.

Just for fun, I'll try it and see if it works too.

KM said:
[...]

Nope, just adding it to the Control Panel\Video key didn't work.
No problem, I have a way to make it happen that doesn't involve hand-
tweaking, so I'm happy. At least, I'm happy about this...

KM said:
[...]

Ok.. Good to know. Then I won't be even thinking about that key from now on. :)
Thanks for the quick testing.

KM, BSquare Corp.

KM said:
[...]

Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (PruningMode)

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Video]
REGDWORD "PruningMode", 1

Worked for me! ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (was previously detected as a 1100 ???)

Thanx