    and they advised that it may be a windows issue. Any ideas are most welcomed
    here as this is driving me nuts.
    Randy D

    Guest, Nov 22, 2006

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Code 39
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
    corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

    Recommended resolution
    Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file
    that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry
    point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

    Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall
    or upgrade the driver.

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    Troubleshooting Wizard.
    from...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

    Try this. Make sure that the device is not plugged in.

    1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories and then click
    Command Prompt.
    2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:

    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

    3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

    start devmgmt.msc

    4. In Device Manager, click View and click Show hidden devices.

    5. Locate the device that you want to uninstall, right click and select
    Uninstall

    6. When you finish, close Device Manager.
    7. Type exit at the command prompt.

    Reboot.

    Then reinstall your device.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    RDRR <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Nov 22, 2006

    Hello Wesley,

    Followed intructions to a tee and same results. I am thinking that a fresh
    Windows XP install to correct the problem may be neccassary. Any other ideas?
    Much appreciated!
    --
    Randy D

    Guest, Nov 23, 2006

    Very similar problem. same error msg. during my installtion of Canon 4400f
    scanner. I read and followed the instructions given by Wesley Vogel and think
    I may be on top of my problem however must resolve another problem to maybe
    fix this one. When following Wes' instructioons in the hidden files I find
    "Microtek" (scanner) and a seperate "Usb" in the same file. When I attempted
    to delete I got the message: "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may
    be required toboot up the computer." I did s search in the registry file and
    found trace of microtek in a number of places. I have installed an
    uninstalled the microtek scanner software. Any suggestions?

    Guest, Jan 29, 2007

    Hello Wes,

    K..this is what I found. It may sound really simple when you read it, and it
    was, it was just hard to figure out why??? After running devmgr and following
    your instruction I decided to try and install the camera first. AHA...the
    camera loaded fine along with its' own software. After seeing this I decided
    to try and load the scanner and software again and voila, everything is back
    to normal again.

    Is it possible that some of the files that the webcam was using were being
    shared with the scanner files. My guess would be a positive yes. I have not
    bothered to reverse the install just incase I did not get lucky a second
    time...which would make no sense at all unless we really wanted to nail this
    problem down.

    I hope this helps some others out there and all your help was great. Please,
    keep up all the great technical support in the fashion you do!

    Regards,
    RDRR
    --
    Randy D

    Guest, Jan 30, 2007

    Folowed your instructions however on viewing the devices (hidden) after
    selecting the command prompt I found a device microtek (my old scanner) which
    refused to uninstall. When I tried I got the message: "Failed to uninstall
    the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer" I still can
    not install my Canon 4400F scanner. I believe if I can remove all reference
    to "Microtek" i would be home free. Any suggestions?

    Guest, Jan 30, 2007

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Failed to uninstall the device The device may be required to boot up the
    computer

    Ask for help here..
    http://www.microtek.com/

    Here are a few ideas.

    Is the old scanner unplugged? Shut down and physically remove it.

    Uninstall whatever software may be associated with your device microtek
    (your old scanner) in Add or Remove Programs.

    There may be a related SERVICE to do with your old scanner, that may be
    what's causing the "The device may be required to boot up the computer"
    message. The service MAY be listed in Non-Plug and Play Drivers in Device
    manager.* Open services.msc and look around.

    Disable and Stop the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service.

    Boot into Safe Mode and try to uninstall your device microtek.

    * For example, I have two services listed in the registry related to a cable
    modem...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\brgwnd5
    DCM-201 DOCSIS Cable Modem (NDIS)
    System32\DRIVERS\brgwnd5.sys

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\brgwunic
    DCM-201 DOCSIS Cable Modem (WDM)
    System32\DRIVERS\brgwunic.sys

    Those used to show up here...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
    and in Non-Plug and Play Drivers in Device manager.

    They do not show up any more because I uninstalled every thing related to
    that modem.

    I just used ControlSet002 as an example. Do NOT mess with ControlSet001 or
    ControlSet002.

    ControlSet001 may be the last control set you booted with, while
    ControlSet002 could be what is known as the last known good control set, or
    the control set that last successfully booted Windows NT. The
    CurrentControlSet subkey is really a pointer to one of the ControlSetXXX
    keys.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    Rob <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Jan 30, 2007

    frankan

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Scanner problems

    Very interesting sight - thank you for help. I have experienced exactly the same problem as here but with a Plustek film scanner. Despite strenuous efforts couldn't solve problem so Datamind agreed a refund. Bought Canon 4400F only to read here has same problem. But followed advice to remove all traces of previous scanners and found Canon loaded as sweetly and easily as anything ever has. Incidentally, if you think USB might be the problem (VIA chipsets not flavour of the month apparently) then USA sight 'USBman' exceedingly good on sorting BIOS and general advice on USB matters.
    Many thanks again to all for super info.
    Frank

    frankan, Mar 7, 2007