Scandisk

G

I have just completed running Scandisk on my XP Pro system. The 5 steps are completed and the computer advises me that "Windows has completed checking the disk", and then it hangs. If I reboot and select Restore From Last Good Configuration it proceeds and then comes back with the need to run Scandisk again (because the system thinks it's scheduled - not completed with a completed restart of the system). If I cancel the scandisk I get the same message, and if I let it run it does the Scandisk and then I get the same message. I get the feeling that if I could turn off the need for it to run Scandisk it would boot to Windows.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help.

-Phil

D

dev

/Phil M/ said:
I have just completed running Scandisk on my XP Pro system. The 5 steps are completed and the computer advises me that "Windows has completed checking the disk", and then it hangs. If I reboot and select Restore From Last Good Configuration it proceeds and then comes back with the need to run Scandisk again (because the system thinks it's scheduled - not completed with a completed restart of the system). If I cancel the scandisk I get the same message, and if I let it run it does the Scandisk and then I get the same message. I get the feeling that if I could turn off the need for it to run Scandisk it would boot to Windows.

Anyone have any ideas?

There is no Scandisk in XP. Click Kelly's link, below, and then "C".
Scroll down to...

"Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot"

G

How do I run the commands offered in Kelly's if I can't get to a command prompt within Windows. I can get to a prompt using the XP install disk but I get the message "The command is not recognized". I have tried from the Windows directory as well as the System and System32 directories

Thanks
-Phil

Ask a Question