Scan RMA

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Last September I bought This loudspeaker system from Scan. They cost a bit less then, about £38.

They packed up just after Christmas, PSU was supplying DC volts, couldn't take main unit apart as breaking seals covering retaining screws voided warranty.

In short, RMA'ed them, well packed as they requested, oodles of bubble wrap and used jiffy bags, large stout cardboard box. It cost me £12.77 for a signed-for delivery through the Post Office.

They turned it around in a week or so which tbh was pretty good considering it was the holiday season.

But they haven't, so far, refunded my £12.77 postage or given any indication that they intend to. So I will e-mail them tomorrow (Monday) requesting that refund. I honestly don't know the legal position but the moral position would surely be if they sold me a product that went faulty on me I shouldn't have to forfeit a third of the item's cost just to get a replacement.

Watch this space.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
:nod: This'll be interesting,..I have had dealings with Scan in the past and had the same problem!

I never did get my postage back though.

Reaction score
If they suggested you send it well packaged and also said they would cover cost then they have to refund you....

DBD :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
They did ask to send it well packaged, this is the actual e-mail though, no mention of refunding cost:

This email is to confirm that RMA ****** has been issued for the following items:

CORSAIR SPEAKERS SP2200 - 6015821006

** PLEASE NOTE **

YOUR RMA WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT ENSURE IT IS VERY CAREFULLY AND ADEQUATELY PACKAGED, USING SIMILAR METHODS TO THE ONES WE USED ORIGINALLY ie. Use plenty of bubble wrap and external boxes to protect the product(s) from being damaged on the return courier journey.

Please do not mark the original items with any RMA information as items received back at Scan not in original condition will be rejected. A loose sheet of paper with the RMA information on is more than adequate.

Please download the following Returns label and fill in the appropriate fields;you can then attach this to your returns parcel and return the item/s to the address marked.

RMA ****** will expire if the items are not received by 12 January 2012. Items failing to reach Scan by the deadline cannot be processed and may require you to obtain a new RMA number. You can track the progress of your RMA on the Scan site at *****with your invoice number and RMA number.

Please note that all Scan Terms and Conditions apply on returned items, these may be viewed at http://www.scan.co.uk/Terms.aspx

This email is automatically generated, please do not reply as the mailbox is not manned, however, please use the OLQ system via the following link: ********

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent to Scan customer service 17:25 Monday 09-01-12:

Thank you for the reasonably quick turn-around on my recent RMA number ******.

I don't appear to have received the postage cost for returning the faulty goods to you, which was £12.77 signed-for delivery with Royal Mail.

Would you kindly confirm you intend to refund me this cost and if possible give me a date the funds will enter my bank account.

Regards

Slippery Sid

Query number: ******

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I recently downloaded a .pdf document on this very subject, from the Office of Fair Trading... linky below. It's quite lengthy, so I've just copied and pasted the bit which might be relevant to your query.

If you go to the website for further info, there is a drop down menu top left. I think the blurb below came from the "Distance Selling" portion.

Return of goods ordered online, by telephone or by mail order
The retailer’s terms and conditions should say who pays for returning goods. If they don’t, then the retailer has to pay, not the customer.
Retailers may also set out the way they want goods to be returned, but this cannot be unreasonably expensive or difficult.

In the case of faulty goods being returned because they are not fit for purpose, do not match their description, or are not of a satisfactory quality, the customer is entitled to claim the cost of postage from you or to request that you arrange collection of the item.
The additional customer rights that apply to online and mail order customers are in the Consumer Protection Distance Selling Regulations 2000, the Financial Services (Direct Marketing) Regulations and the Electronic Commerce Regulations. These are summarised in the OFT business guide, Home shopping: distance selling regulations, available from www.oft.gov.uk

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained
Drop down heading No: 11 "Your customers’ rights when they buy goods online, by telephone or by mail order" is where you'll find a reference to the above.

Hope that's a help.:)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Must admit I haven't read Scan's terms and conditions, I started to but they go on forever so gave up on 'em. It may have been an idea to have established who pays for return postage before purchase I suppose. We shall see, anyway, Scan haven't responded yet.

In the past either I've swallowed return postage cos it didn't cost much or in most cases I've been refunded postage, even from OCUK. Sometimes I had to ask for the postage costs, sometimes I didn't.

Whatever the case, £12.77 against a purchase price of £38 is bang out of order if I have to pay.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes Flopps, £12.77 really bumps-up the overall cost. I hope you will be reimbursed it seems totally justifiable seeing that you were returning faulty goods.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Received around noon today:

Hi

We can refund up to £5 of the postage cost, please send a copy of the receipt to (e-mail address removed) and reference the rma number.

Regards

Scan Computers

The set of characters in the subject uniquely identifies your query. When replying to this email please ensure that these characters remain unaltered.

This message is entirely the creation of its author in his or her personal capacity and any views expressed in this message are the views of that author. Accordingly, Scan Computers Intl Ltd shall not be nor become liable in any way, whether contractually, tortuously or otherwise, in respect of anything stated or depicted in this message. Please also note that this message shall not constitute an offer or an acceptance or be legally binding upon Scan Computers Intl Ltd in any way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My reply:

Attached post office receipt for £12.77. RMA number: 2****7

I’m assuming you have details of my debit card/bank account to make the part payment? If not please contact me and I will supply the details.

Yours disappointingly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I shall wait until the fiver is in my account then establish whose responsibilty the return postage cost belonged to, myself or Scan.

If they've covered themselves with a clause then I still consider it morally wrong and will chase them for the £7.77 balance and also comment with a thread about it in their section on the Hexus Forum.

If they haven't stated whose responsibility return postage is then I will pursue the matter, legally if need be.

Either way, Scan have lost a customer, this isn't the first time I've been disappointed with them.

So, that's OCUK & Scan on my ****list, which pretty much leaves E-Buyer, Amazon and Aria. And PC World instore of course, whose component prices are more or less on a par with most online suppliers, only prob being they have a limited range of components.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting Mr Flopp's

Sorry to hear that but at least you are going to get something back, I never got any postage back from them the last time I used them which must have been about 3 years ago now, I sent a heavy PSU back under RMA and like you wrapped really securely and paid full tracking postage, they never paid my postage costs so stopped using them..

Think I'm on the same sort of level as you with web retailers now...Amazon, MyMemory, Cheapsmells, Global-Batteries, Argos and a few others are the only trusted sites I use now and yes sometimes I'll even walk down to PcWorld and comets for some computer bits and bobs..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps - I knew I'd recently something else in the Distance Selling Regulations, which might be relevant ... finally, I've managed to find it again.

The full .pdf doc is here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf

This is a snip of the bit I think might apply to you ..

As you can see - the DSRs seem to suggest that if the terms are set out on a website only, they may be subject to editing, which potentially, could be unfair to the customer. Hence, the terms dealing with return postage, etc., should be set out clearly in either an email, or some other form which the customer can retain.

Anyway, hope it helps, and hope you get the full refund. :thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Distance Selling Regs.JPG
    Distance Selling Regs.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,182

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

oh, wait, wrong beach ... :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hang on Mucks I'll just get me tin hat and gas mask from the attic... ;)

Just received:

HI

We have received your copy of the postage receipt and this has been passed to the manager to be resolved.

Regards

Scan Computers

The set of characters in the subject uniquely identifies your query. When replying to this email please ensure that these characters remain unaltered.

This message is entirely the creation of its author in his or her personal capacity and any views expressed in this message are the views of that author. Accordingly, Scan Computers Intl Ltd shall not be nor become liable in any way, whether contractually, tortuously or otherwise, in respect of anything stated or depicted in this message. Please also note that this message shall not constitute an offer or an acceptance or be legally binding upon Scan Computers Intl Ltd in any way.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Today Scan put £5 into my bank account.

For me to go any further I will have to read reams of legal jargon that makes up Scan's terms and conditions. Then engage, probably, in a lengthy exchange of e-mails and possibly phone calls and all for £7.77 if I'm lucky.

I really don't know if I can be bothered with it tbh, I'll see how I feel in the morning.

All I'll say, people, is be aware Scan expect you to pay to return the faulty goods they sold you back to them.

I will never use Scan as a supplier again, they can go boil their bum :mad:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I thought that you always swore against using Scan in the first place?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I thought that you always swore against using Scan in the first place?

Don't think so, although this is not the first trouble I've had with them so I may have spoken out against them in the past, but don't think I ever gave up using them.

But I have now.

Reaction score
Been through all this with trading standards this morning because of another company, overclockers.co.uk. Even though you know the goods are faulty they may choose to not acknowlage that fact, if they do that then it's onto their terms and conditions - it may say in there that you are responsible for the cost of sending back the goods back to them (refundable by them if they find the goods to be faulty) trouble is once you send the goods back they could have it tested by their own guys and deny any fault thus sticking you with the return postage costs. The advice i was given was to have any goods tested and get a report prior to sending them back and not say anything to the company if you are in any dought.

If they sent you out a replacment item they don't have a leg to stand on. You are entitled to a full refund for the postage regardless of what's in their terms and conditions.

Wish i'd found this site before ordering. After having trouble with overclockers have ordered a replacment graphix card from these guys..........crossing fingers legs and everything else that nothing goes wrong.

After a quick search here it seems ebuyer and aria seem to have better customer service when things go wrong. anyway i'll know for the future.

Last edited:

Ask a Question