Saving addresses automatically

Jim S

The other client allows me to save email addresses I reply to in a folder
called collected addresses or somesuch. Can I get Outlook to do this?

VanguardLH

Jim said:
The other client allows me to save email addresses I reply to in a folder
called collected addresses or somesuch. Can I get Outlook to do this?

Probably depends on the version of Outlook which you neglected to
mention.

For OL2003:
Actions -> Junk E-mail -> Junk E-mail Options -> Safe Senders tab
Look at the bottom for the option.

Gordon

"Jim S" wrote in message

The other client allows me to save email addresses I reply to in a folder
called collected addresses or somesuch. Can I get Outlook to do this?

Thunderbird presumably or OE?
No version of Outlook has ever had that capability natively AFAIK. (Can't speak for 2010). There are add-ins that will do this I think...

Jim S

Probably depends on the version of Outlook which you neglected to
mention.

For OL2003:
Actions -> Junk E-mail -> Junk E-mail Options -> Safe Senders tab
Look at the bottom for the option.

Sorry 2007

Jim S

Probably depends on the version of Outlook which you neglected to
mention.

For OL2003:
Actions -> Junk E-mail -> Junk E-mail Options -> Safe Senders tab
Look at the bottom for the option.

I guess that's as near as I'll get.
Thanks

Gordon

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

That doesn't get anywhere NEAR what you want. I'm surprised Vanguard even suggested it.

VanguardLH

Gordon said:
Jim S wrote ...

Had to correct the following ****ups with Gordon's reply:
- Undo Gordon's misuse of the sigdash line. His reply was after Jim's
sigdash line which he didn't bother to trim out. His reply was in a
SIGNATURE, not in the body of his post, so he didn't have a reply.
- Had to undo his invalid use of Base 64 encoding for *plain text*.
- Had to redo his lack of proper indentation for quoted content.
Geez, figure out how to properly configure WLM, Gordon!
That doesn't get anywhere NEAR what you want. I'm surprised Vanguard
even suggested it.

Instead of collecting in a folder, the e-mail addresses are collected in
a whitelist. List or folder, the e-mail addresses CAN get collected. I
got 50% of the OP's requirement. So on how much did you match? NOTHING.
"There are add-ins that will do this I think..." Oh yeah, that was
informative, uh huh. You couldn't even be bothered to do a Google search
(nor did the OP) before replying to cull any candidates for those
nebulous add-ons you *think* might exist.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+outlook++addon++email++address++reply

The OP never said he wanted an add-on but asked if *Outlook* could do
what he wanted and THAT is to what I responded. You gave the OP
nothing. So here are some candidates for add-ons to Outlook that you
were too lazy to find. Since the OP never asked about an add-on, I
didn't differentiate between free and paid products.

http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/add_contacts/
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Add-Email-Address.asp
http://www.publicshareware.com/outlook-public-contact-after-reply.php
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.asp

VanguardLH

Gordon said:
"VanguardLH" wrote in message

But the OP can't DO anything with them.

Since when? You can:

- Add them (manually or automatically).
- Delete them.
- Edit them.

The last operation obviously lets you copy the string and then you could
go add a contact record in whatever contact-type folder you want, or in
a note, or somewhere else just by copying that e-mail address. So you
can *do* something with them. Copy and paste still works in Windows.
Those entries are not locked solely within the whitelist.

When automatically adding contacts to which you send e-mails, just what
content will get saved? Well, the only thing known at that time is the
e-mail address. That's the same data saved in the Safe Senders
whitelist if you enable the "Automatically add people I e-mail" option.
Instead of a "folder", those e-mail addresses are in a list. So far, no
difference in what got saved which was just an e-mail address. The SAME
data gets saved in a whitelist or in a folder. Same data.

And what might be the advantage of saving the e-mail addresses used in
replies in a contact-type folder versus in a whitelist - AS STIPULATED
as a requirement by the OP? The OP said he wanted to *save* the e-mail
addresses. Case closed by using the option already mentioned for saving
in a whitelist. The native function in Outlook saves in a whitelist
instead of a folder. And the difference is what? The e-mail addresses
still got saved.

I did give the OP (in my reply to you) some candidates for add-ons that
would do more, like prompt the user to let them add more details
regarding the contact or select in which contact-type folder to save the
contact record. Some are free (although they may be adware), some are
paid. The OP didn't ask for add-ons. As such, the OP never stipulated
they need to be free or if payware was acceptable.

Outlook *can* automatically save e-mail addresses from your outbound
e-mails. It will save in a whitelist instead of a folder. Those
entries in the whitelist are still usable outside the whitelist. If the
OP demands that the list gets saved under a folder instead of within a
whitelist (simply a decision of preference of WHERE to store) then a 3rd
party add-on is required. I didn't bother to go look at outlookcode.com
to see if someone came up with a [free] macro that could be used within
Outlook instead of using an add-on.

Gordon

Since when? You can:

- Add them (manually or automatically).
- Delete them.
- Edit them.

But you can't do anything ELSE with them - like send an email to them
JEEEEZE!!!!