    through the data. My hope is to save the information
    into an Excel format and filter and sort the data. Any
    help on doing this would be appreciated. Thank you!

    Greg, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Greg wrote:
    > Can I save a Word document into Excel? I have a report
    > in Word with valuable data, but I am not able to sort
    > through the data. My hope is to save the information
    > into an Excel format and filter and sort the data. Any
    > help on doing this would be appreciated. Thank you!

    Greg,

    I'm not aware of a way to "save" Word document as an Excel file--but, ou
    can easily use Windows "clipboard" to copy/paste text from Word document
    into Excel spreadsheet.

    I'm not sure the format of your Word data. So I suggest you do a few
    experiments to get a feel for how it works.

    Select a bunch of paragraphs in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel.
    Each paragraph should go into an cell of it's own ( remember that there
    are limits on how much text fits into an Excel cell).

    Select a table in Word, copy ... then paste into Excel. Goes in as you
    would expect ... each table cell goes into it's own Excel cell.

    Hope this helps.

    Rob Schneider, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Note also that if the data is already in a table, as Rob assumes, you may be
    able to sort it in Word using Table | Sort. You can also sort text that is
    not in a table using the same command, but the method is somewhat different.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Yes ... although what I wrote makes it appear this was my assumption
    about the data being in a table, I didn't make that assumption.

    My assumption for the 1st case was it was free form data and in
    paragraphs. The second paragraph re data in a table was for the 2nd case
    where the data is in a table. I considered to mention that one can sort
    in a Word table, but I figured since that sorting capability is an
    obvious feature of Word Tables (visble in the menus hence easily found)
    was easier to go with the flow of Greg's need to use Excel to do the
    data sorting.

    I have to stop this early moring writing with a fuzzy brain!

    Rob Schneider, Jul 23, 2003