Windows XP 'Save Movie' Freezes

Reaction score
On one hard drive the Movie Maker works Perfectly. On a "clone" hard drive the "Save Movie" bar freezes and won't go away until I reboot.
Also the program will freeze the computer until I hit Contrl/Alt/Del.
Both hard drives are identical in content, copied with "Casper Clone."
Anybody have any ideas why this should happen? The hard drive with the problem was low level formatted before cloning. Thanks

Reaction score
I already tried that, and funny thing; now I 'cloned' to yet another hard drive and everything is working fine. Just that one hard drive gives me the freezing problem, and yet, the drive tests 100% OK with no bad sectors, etc...Well I will just keep using this other drive unless there is something I could do to fix the troublesome drive. Did I mention I low level formatted it, "filled with zeros" As Seagate calls it. Thanks for your answers, and if anybody else has any ideas, I'm listening...

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
i do alot of imaging. i mean.......ALOT............i noticed that sometimes things just don't copy properly. one image works fine while another freezes, gives random program errors or issues. and some things just arent there. seems like when you perform something, it should work like it's supposed to EVERY time. but that's not the case. we're dealing with low level electricity and it only takes one blip to not be passed correctly to throw the whole system off.

try it again on the issue drive. it may have not copied correctly the first time.

another thing..............are the drives of equal size? there are issues when you try to image a drive of say 80gb to a drive that is smaller or larger than that original 80gb setup.

hope this gives some insight. good luck

- Surfer

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I cloned the same drive several times, and that one hard drive gives me the problem every time. Both drives are 400GB so space is not a problem. Anyway at this point I am just using the 'good' drive as the boot drive, and all is well.
I would physically remove the bad one, but this Antec case contains 8 HD positions, and it was a real; pain to put it all together, and would be hard to take out the bad one, so I am running every test I can think of on it, but they all come out positive.
Anyway thanks again for the ideas, and I'll post if anything nrew develops.

Ask a Question