    Thanks

    --
    Sylvain

    Sylvain, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Sylvain

    Guest Guest

    "Sylvain" <adresse.inv@lide> wrote in message
    news:mn.749c7d4b18775ced.5222@lide...
    > Hi everyone,
    > I'm looking for a freeware to convert / save as... pictures into a .wmf
    > file.

    Normally can't be done. Pictures (jpg, gif, etc) are bitmaps whereas wmf
    files are vector files. (It would take too long to explain, but there are
    probably online tutorials.) It's possible to convert wmf files to pictures
    but not the other way.

    Guest, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Sylvain

    Sylvain Guest

    Thanks M,
    I know these points but it's possible the way jpg. ou .gif > .wmf too.
    Paint Shop Pro does it without problem.
    But I'm looking for a free program.

    Here is why :
    Megamaps is an educationnal prog to create large maps of usa (up to 8x8
    A4 >64 pages !)
    It uses a file named usa1.wmf.
    If you replace this file by any other one (like a picture),... is just
    works as fine :blush:)))
    Fantastic !
    You just need to convert your .jpg file into the waited usa1.wmf

    As PSP isn't freeware, I need a prog that I can install in some
    schools...

    Kind regards

    > Normally can't be done. Pictures (jpg, gif, etc) are bitmaps whereas wmf
    > files are vector files. (It would take too long to explain, but there are
    > probably online tutorials.) It's possible to convert wmf files to pictures
    > but not the other way.

    Sylvain

    Sylvain, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Sylvain

    > Thanks M,
    > I know these points but it's possible the way jpg. ou .gif > .wmf too.
    > It uses a file named usa1.wmf.
    > If you replace this file by any other one (like a picture),... is just
    > works as fine :blush:)))

    Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can just RENAME a bitmap file with a
    WMF extension and it will work?
    I am aware of commercial programs that can do it but the results aren't
    pretty. No freeware ones that I know of.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Sylvain

    Le Loup Guest

    <<M>> a émis l'idée suivante :
    > Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you can just RENAME a bitmap file with a
    > WMF extension and it will work?
    > I am aware of commercial programs that can do it but the results aren't
    > pretty. No freeware ones that I know of.

    I think he wants a "vectorizer", a freeware that can analyse a bitmap
    pic and convert it (more or less) to vector pic...
    I already saw that once... but where ? The result was quite good with
    "simple" pics (cliparts with 8 or 16 colors) and totally messy with
    photos :)

    Cordialement,
    Hervé LOTH

    --
    LE LOUP THEATRE
    www.lelouptheatre.tk

    Le Loup, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Sylvain

    wald Guest

    Le Loup <> wrote:

    > I think he wants a "vectorizer", a freeware that can analyse a
    > bitmap pic and convert it (more or less) to vector pic...
    > I already saw that once... but where ? The result was quite good
    > with "simple" pics (cliparts with 8 or 16 colors) and totally
    > messy with photos :)

    Stole this from an post of mine earlier this month:

    > There's a bunch of open source projects relating to bitmap-vector
    > conversion:
    >
    > http://delineate.sourceforge.net/
    > http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/
    > http://potrace.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > I can also warmly suggest Inkscape (http://inkscape.org), which
    > has a bitmap tracing feature built-in, based on poTrace.

    Regards,
    Wald

    wald, Nov 15, 2004
  7. Sylvain

    Guest Guest

    I know my commercial package has the capability to convert bitmaps to
    vectors but I haven't played with it extensively. Might take a look at these
    open-source ones. . .

    Guest, Nov 15, 2004