SATA_RAID1 Question

Reaction score
This is my first post, and I'm a bit confused.

I'm building a system with a SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD and an Asus P5DV2-X Motherboard.

I know that Vista will support SATA without installing drivers, but drivers will be required for a RAID setup.

I'm not building a RAID setup, just a single SATA 3.0...however, the manual for the board is confusing me.

It says that SATA 3.0 Gb/s is supported as well as 1.5 Gb/s, but it is not supported by the normal SATA ports (these are for 1.5).

SATA 3.0 Gb/s is via a Jmicron JMB363 SATA controller.......with me so far???

Later in the manual it explains that the Jmicron SATA port is a 7 pin SATA_RAID1 and I quote:

"This connector is for a serial ATA signal cable. This connector supports a serial ATA disc drive, which you can combine with an external serial ATA hard disc drive, to configure for RAID via the on board serial ATA RAID controller".

Does this mean that If I plug a single HDD into this port, so that it can run at it's full 3.0 Gb/s will I need to install RAID drivers during Vista setup?.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
from my experience with SATA drives you just need to plug it in and the XP setup will detect and install to it no problem, Vista however i dont know about i would assume it would work exactly the same

Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming your board actually supports SATA II which woudl enable 3gb transfer speeds?

Reaction score
Hi, yes the board supports SATAII, but only through this SATA_RAID1 port, and it's the 'RAID' bit that's confusing me.

Ask a Question