Sata speed compatability

Reaction score
anyone know if a Sata 133 will work with a 150 hdd, cd-rom. or a a 150 cable to a 133 going to a hdd or a cd-rom? provided the mobo is compatable of course.

Reaction score
:confused: SATA 133 ??

I thought ATA133 was P-ATA (IDE) and ATA150 was S-ATA (Serial)

I may be wrong, but i dont think there are any SATA 133 drives :confused:

And no, the above cables are not interchangable...

Reaction score
ok, right on, thanx. i'll have to look it up later then. thanx for the help.

Reaction score
yep SATA has a max bandwith of 150MBps. and is usually referred to as SATA 150.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Techy said:
yep SATA has a max bandwith of 150MBps. and is usually referred to as SATA 150.
... until 450 gets going. ;)

Reaction score
I'm having the same confusion. The manual for my motherboard claims it has two SATA133 connectors. The board is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe. This is a screenshot from the PDF manual which can be downloaded from ASUS:

SATA133.jpg

Both my IDEs are full, so next time I add a drive, it'll most likely be SATA. Everything I got from Google indicates SATA133 doesn't exist. I'm going to e-mail ASUS, but in the past, they've taken weeks to reply.

In the meantime, can anyone make sense of this?

muckshifter

Reaction score
I don't know why It didn't click with me the first time but SATA 133 did exist ... it was a cheat ... I do love the numbers game.
nod.gif

Serial ATA channels in early controllers, especially in the Promise controller, were made by redesigning one of the Parallel ATA/133 channels and the maximum bandwidth of Serial ATA-150 channels in ASUS A7V8X doesn't exceed 133MB/sec against the expected 150MB/sec.

We are going back to the "innavative" days of nVidia nForce here. :thumb:

Everybody, myself included, were more concerned and warning people, at that time, to NOT install 400 ram, as you would be tearing your hair out trying to get it to work ... that was later rectified.

So, if anybody else tells you that SATA133 does not exist, tell 'em to quote "mucks' numbers game" and point them here.

;)

Reaction score
So in other words, a SATA150 drive WILL WORK under a SATA133 controller, but will not exceed 133MB/sec?

I just want to be sure such a drive will function before I buy anything. While I'm at it, I may as well ask... It's my first time with drives that don't use IDE. Are SATA drives/ports backward-compatible speedwise? Will they just operate at the highest common speed they can both use (like a USB2.0 flash drive in a USB1.1 port, just goes 1.1 speed), or will they not function?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, in my book the word "compatibility" does not exist in computing terms.

In theory, all drives are backward compatible, you just won't be able to buy a 133 SATA hard drive ... you can buy a PCI SATA RAID/nonRAID controller that should insure compatability.

This is a typical, 'suck-it and see' purchase, but should work. ;)

Reaction score
Sorry for asking so many questions, I do appreciate your answers.

Would the transfer rate take a hit from having to go through a PCI interface?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Karl1982 said:
Sorry for asking so many questions, I do appreciate your answers.

Would the transfer rate take a hit from having to go through a PCI interface?
You can ask as many questions as you like ... I may not be able to answer them all though. ;)

The 'PCI bus' hasn't really changed in twenty years ... you can fit old "IBM compatible" (there's that word again) PCI devices and they will sill work, given the correct drivers for the OS ... the same is said for the "new stuff" it has to work through the PCI bus.

Any 'bit-n-bobs' needed will be on the card ... Take a USB 2.2 PCI card and fit it to a PC that only has USB 1.1 and you will get USB 2.2 ... from that card. :)

Sorry to say ... old technology can get left behind every six months, wait 2 years before "upgrading" and you may just as well buy a New PC ... however, if that 2 year old PC can do what you want it to today, don't bother.

I have a nVidia nForce2 MSI AMD 2500, 1gig ram based system, it has run Vista sweet as a nut, it is not my main system, but I ain't finished with it yet. :thumb:

Ask a Question