Windows XP SATA DVD-RW Drive not recognised after reinstalling Windows XP Prp.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just reinstalled my Windows XP Pro and my pc can no longer even see my DVD writer.

Its a Plextor 712S DVD writer.

I have tralwed through google quite a bit, and also checked the Plextor homepage support section, but nothing that i could find helped.

I have a floppy with my SATA drivers on, but this does not have an "install drivers" option, its just a floppy with some files I could sopy somewhere, but I'm not sure where.
I guess this might be part of teh issue, I'm not sure, so just metion it here in case its useful.

Any help would be muchly appreciated folks as I'm starting to pull my hair out <...sob, sob ,sob...>

Thanks a lot all,

Strakky.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
only few things i can suggest
i assume that every thing is connected properly (making sure)
make sure you download the latest drivers from thier website

other will probly have better suggestions :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using a SATA hard drive at the moment? Also, does anything appear in "device manager"?

Reaction score
yep, im using my SATA hard drive (WD Raptor 74GB) and Xp has no problems in seeing that, just the SATA optical drive (plextor 712-s)
there isn't anything in the hardware profile/devices, and ive tried 'adding new hardware'. the BIOS see's with fine, just when i boot into windows Xp, and nothing.

i do remember someone once telling me that you can take a copy of files from the SATA disc and put them some where within the Windows folders to enable XP seeing the opitcal drive.........but of course i cant remember *silly me, slap*

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats very strange, if your BIOS sees it and your already have your SATA drivers installed (as WinXP is running).

Sounds daft, but try swappig cables over and plugging it into a different header. It could be a strange physical problem (although it is unlikely given that your BIOS sees it).

Reaction score
Strakky said:
yep, im using my SATA hard drive (WD Raptor 74GB) and Xp has no problems in seeing that, just the SATA optical drive (plextor 712-s)
there isn't anything in the hardware profile/devices, and ive tried 'adding new hardware'. the BIOS see's with fine, just when i boot into windows Xp, and nothing.

i do remember someone once telling me that you can take a copy of files from the SATA disc and put them some where within the Windows folders to enable XP seeing the opitcal drive.........but of course i cant remember *silly me, slap*

I would say for now, switch the cables from hdd to the optical drive and reboot. Next thing I would advise would be to go the the oem site of your drive and search for driver updates. If the proper folders on your system should be automatically located, and if not it will create the directory. Though I must agree with Ian, it is recognised in BIOS but not when windows boots up....... Is it enabled in the BIOS??? How did you do the windows install??

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I terid switching cables, no difference. I also switched the port that the optiocal was plugged into with the hdd port, and still the same result.
It was (and is) enabled in the BIOS...
Because it was enabled in BIOS, windows install went fine.

I managed to find my own approach, its a bit of an avoid,,, but hey, if it works, im happy.

I opened the DVD drive, and found... its was an IDE device with a SATA bridge.... so i pulled off the bridge and am using it IDE now.

Thanks everyone for your help though, I guess teh mystery will just go into one of those no-one will ever know things.

Cheers all , happy hacking,

Strakky.

Reaction score
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP, the CD-ROM drive, the DVD-ROM drive, or CD-ROM R/W drive may not be visible in the My Computer window. Additionally, there may be question marks on the devices that are listed under CD-ROM drives in Device Manager.

CAUSE
An incorrect device driver was installed for the CD-ROM device.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, use the following methods in the order that they are presented in.
Method 1: Remove the registry entry
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
4. On the File menu, click Export.
5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Method 2: Replace the existing driver
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If Control Panel is in Category view, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

If Control Panel is in Classic view, double-click System.
3. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.
4. Click the drive with the question mark next to it.
5. On the Action menu, click Uninstall. When you are prompted to confirm the removal, click OK.
6. Repeat steps 4 through 5 for any other drives with question marks.
7. On the Action menu, click Scan for hardware changes.

Reaction score
I'm had the same problem. The problem is the XP distribution, even SP2 does not have the correct chipset drivers and XP cannot configure correctly. The solution is to go to the chipset Vendor site and obtain the correct low level board drivers.

For example my board runs the Intel 865-PE chipset and going to the intel site and getting the latest intel chipset drivers cures this problem. This assumes that development on your chipset drivers has gone on subquent to any additions in SP2. With SATA CD's it's a certainly that even SP2 will not adequately support the Plextor 712-SA.

Fortunately I have two running systems on my disk and I tried a clean install and became disastrously aware of this problem at the beginning of the GUI installation phase. I had fixed it earlier on the other running system and that's the only thing that has kept me going.

Btw, my drive is also a Plextor 712-SA and you are really in deep straights if it's your only load device.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Fixes applied here will also work BUT, what is applied here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314082

patches SP2 drivers board drivers. I'd recommend getting new board drivers from your board chip maker's vendor site and applying them. In other words, I don't think the fix Microsoft describes is the cleanest.

Reboot and everything should be allright.

The hardware function in question for the 712-SA is 24D1 and perhaps some others.

Last edited:

Ask a Question