Salmiak... aka Salty Liquorice

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The talk of salty liquorice last week with @Urmas had me intrigued, so we bought some Salmiak and it arrived this morning.

...Well I did say I would try anything once :D

I feel like my taste buds have just been on a journey, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. It's a very confusing experience for the uninitiated!

I don't think I like it. However after I've finished eating it my mouth is watering and I'm left puzzling over whether I want more.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Despite everything I would recommend it! It's certainly an experience, that's for sure :lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ammonium Chloride.

The main application of ammonium chloride is as a nitrogen source in fertilizers. Ammonium chloride is used as a flux in preparing metals to be tin coated, galvanized or soldered. Ammonium salts are an irritant to the gastric mucosa and may induce nausea and vomiting. :eek:

I'll just have plain Liquorice, thanks. :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I don't think I like it. However after I've finished eating it my mouth is watering and I'm left puzzling over whether I want more.

Yup. That's how it is. Thirsty for more. :drool::drool::drool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Liquorice

"Most liquorice is used as a flavouring agent for tobacco, particularly US blend cigarettes, to which liquorice lends a natural sweetness and a distinctive flavour and makes it easier to inhale the smoke by creating bronchodilators, which open up the lungs."

"Glycyrrhizin (the active ingredient) has also demonstrated antiviral, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, and blood pressure-increasing effects"

"It was once thought to be a partial cure for stomach ulcers."

This should be in the "I Learned Today" thread. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Or you could try Mist. Morpine et Ipecac, an old cough mixture that is flavoured with liquid liquorice extract ( and really does contain Morphine which acts as a cough suppressant).

Liquorice has been used as a food or in medicine for thousands of years, but recent research from the University of Minnesota suggests a possible new use for liquorice in treating melanoma, a particularly dangerous form of skin cancer. A search has recently led to the discovery of isoangustone A (IAA), a novel flavonoid present in liquorice root, which suppresses proliferation of human melanoma cells.

Wonderful stuff. :D

Ask a Question