Safe Mode menu edit?

Folks- I need to figure out how to edit the Safe Mode boot menu (F8, Advanced
Options). I want to prevent a backdoor to Internet Access, by essentially
removing the "Safe Mode with Networking" option from the F8 menu.

Does anyone know how to get at that menu in Windows Vista? thanks in advance.

Chad Harris

Chi-Boy--

1) I don't think it can be edited.

2) I don't think backdoor internet access is facilitated by the default safe
mode with networking on the menu. I want to point this out--because I work
with this menu a lot fixing XP machines although I think the best tool there
is a repair install and you can certainly use the F8 Windows Advanced
Options Menu for Vista. Many people fail to fix no boots because they
don't realize that one Safe Mode--->System Restore of the four available @
F8 may work when another may not--and rarely, LKG may work although if you
haven't booted for days, or a long time you aren't going to save your
changes with LKG the way you can with a System restore which usually only
loses hot fixes or shortcuts since the last restore point and often does
not.

I find Safe Mode with networking very useful because it gives you safe mode
with web access and allows you to grab any resource you need while you are
working with it.

3) If anyone knows how to edit the F8 menu, and I bet someone like Darrell
Gorter would say you can't do it, I am all ears:

CH

Thanks Chad.

To clarify, there is a 3rd party web filter installed in the main OS. This
is used to monitor kids/etc. web-usage. If the machine is booted into safe
mode with networking, that 3rd party web filter is not engaged, and open
internet access is allowed, which I don't want. I'd rather disable the
ability to get into "safe mode with networking" to block that particular
back-door.

I do realize the benefits from a maintenance perspective, but I have other
reasons in this context.

thanks.

Chad Harris

Chi-boy--

This is interesting and there are many people who have filters, etc. to
monitor their kids, and I'd have them as well if I had the need. I don't
know the way to edit F8 and until you brought it up, it never crossed my
mind. Maybe someone will know and Darrell Gorter who often helps here from
MSFT who works with setup issues, etc. would be able to nail this for
certain.

CH

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
I replied in the other newsgroup this was posted into.
I am now aware of a way to modify the Safe Mode options that are on the
Advanced boot menu.
When we present that all we have loaded is the bootmgr and I think the BCD
file.
Let me think of whether there is something else that could possibly be done.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net>
|>Subject: Re: Safe Mode menu edit?
|>Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:02:27 -0400
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Chi-boy--
|>
|>This is interesting and there are many people who have filters, etc. to
|>monitor their kids, and I'd have them as well if I had the need. I don't
|>know the way to edit F8 and until you brought it up, it never crossed my
|>mind. Maybe someone will know and Darrell Gorter who often helps here
from
|>MSFT who works with setup issues, etc. would be able to nail this for
|>certain.
|>
|>CH

|>> To clarify, there is a 3rd party web filter installed in the main OS.
|>> This
|>> is used to monitor kids/etc. web-usage. If the machine is booted into
|>> safe
|>> mode with networking, that 3rd party web filter is not engaged, and open
|>> internet access is allowed, which I don't want. I'd rather disable the
|>> ability to get into "safe mode with networking" to block that particular
|>> back-door.
|>>
|>> I do realize the benefits from a maintenance perspective, but I have
other
|>> reasons in this context.
|>>
|>> thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
After mulling this over, there may be a different way around what you
wanting to prevent.
I still don't think there is a way to change the Advanced Startup Menu to
remove the Safe Mode options.
However there may be way to change what loads in the Safe Mode with
Networking option.
Please can we try this on the test machine first,, this should not be
considered a supported option and make these changes at your own risk.
Make a Restore Point before making any changes.
Had to put some disclaimers in because I don't what this all may affect:
This registry key and the subkeys control what loads when you boot into
Safe Mode with Networking
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network
You should be able to go down this list of subkeys and disable the network
services and Device classes.
This would prevent networking from running, so there would be there should
be no Internet access.
If the changes causes a Stop Error on reboot, Last Known Good may also
resolve this.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: (e-mail address removed) ("Darrell Gorter[MSFT]")
|>Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 01:53:30 GMT
|>Subject: Re: Safe Mode menu edit?
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>Hello,
|>I replied in the other newsgroup this was posted into.
|>I am now aware of a way to modify the Safe Mode options that are on the
|>Advanced boot menu.
|>When we present that all we have loaded is the bootmgr and I think the
BCD
|>file.
|>Let me think of whether there is something else that could possibly be
done.
|>Thanks,
|>Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>
|>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|>--------------------

|>from

|>other

|>default
|>available
|>only
|>does

Chad Harris

Thanks Darrell--

This is interesting. I never thought about doing any editing of any of
these options or what loads in Safe Mode. That's a smart way to surgically
edit in the reg, if it works. It helps to know what subkeys : >)

CH