S.T.A.L.K.E.R Update

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah, cheers mucks, not seen that. Just quit PE and tried to run the game. Will try again in a bit. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... why do you have to jump through hoops to fix your game? ;)
Tell me about it, there's already a patch too, it fixes 68 bugs would you believe!! The games only been in development for 5 years! :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
V_R said:
Tell me about it, there's already a patch too, it fixes 68 bugs would you believe!! The games only been in development for 5 years! :rolleyes:
hahaha ... well, I can understand "bug fixes" but will not knowing buy a game where I have to "fix it" to make it work. ;)

Playing it on Vista is out of the question then ... Vista will not allow these "rootkits" to install. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, this makes me not keen, I hate rootkits, it's bang out of order :mad:

Look, I paid thirty quid for Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and it's common knowledge it copies. Also bought Knights Of Nine for £20.00 and may well purchase the new expansion pack.

If a game's good it will sell, full stop.

I honestly don't mind paying for Games, it keeps the game-makers going and the reason I bought a PC in the first place was to play Games.

But *cough* don't ask me how I feel about buying OS's...... ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
hahaha ... well, I can understand "bug fixes" but will not knowing buy a game where I have to "fix it" to make it work. ;)

Playing it on Vista is out of the question then ... Vista will not allow these "rootkits" to install. :D

I wouldn't even bother tryin if your running Vista, whilst looking for a fix i have read hundreds of post s about how vista really dont like it!

Rootkit!??? How you mean??

Well anyway, two renistalls later and patch and no patch, fix and no fix, Deamon tools and no deamon tools it still dont work....

Got past the PE problem, now it seems it dont like my sound card, something to do with CTDPROXY.DLL. FFS! Almost ready to give up.....
wallbash.gif
:mad:
angry042.gif

I am really p1ssed off, been looking forward to this for fu^king ages too.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry, a misuse of the word ... but an implication as to what I mean. I don't need, or want it on my PC. ;)

A rootkit is a set of software tools intended to conceal running processes, files or system data from the operating system.

Game makers are having to supply "patches" (re hacks) that remove these "security" tags completely to make their games "compatible" with Vista ... Vista's new built-in "security" point blank refuses to let some of them even load.

Remember my attempt to load SH3 ... I'm really not sure how I got it to load, but SH3 is NOT "Vista ready" BECAUSE of the anti-copy security. :D

Sorry, V_R, not laughing at you ... ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So you mean vista and not something on my pc or to do with the game? (sorry if i am missing the point just frustrated as hell right now.) i wondered what you were on about! :blush:

Right now i hate this game.....Shame as i was expecting big things from it......:(

I wonder when the next patch is out?? :rolleyes:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Sorry V_R ... just pointing to what I can find.

No idea why it won't work ... maybe it is still beta :(

All I was saying is ... I will not be buying it anyway.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No worries mucks, thanks for the help though. :thumb:

Just a bit hacked off, you know? Been a sh*t week too so that dont help matters. :(

I suppose i could start reinstalling the sound card and buggering about with this and that, but do i really want to for just one damn game when everything else is running just fine and good?? :mad:

Well at least i aint the only one, there's lots of people who cant get it to work from what i have read.....:rolleyes:

I just cant believe they would release it with so many issues still.....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
By the way, its the ingame bug detection (Xray something..?) not windows or anything thats stopping the game running...:rolleyes:

I'm at work now so cant tell you the exact error though.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good read Mucks, yeah i think its the X-ray engine bug reporter that stops it from starting then you get the option to save the bug report and email it to the developers, Will try again tonight and will post the error message, but am out tonight so may have to wait til the weekend....Thanks again for your help. :thumb:

Maybe i should email you the bug report! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Right been doing some more digging, and something else i may try is this....
Go to Windows/system32 and delete
ct_oal.dll ....its a part of openAL
Well i know i have open AL installed, and now i see it i am sure i saw it in that error log i mentioned.... But i dont like randomly deleting files like that....Open AL came with prey, so as i dont play that i may uninstall the both of them and try that first....

May just try it, Seems to have helped lots of people...:)

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-34274283&pid=540331

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Crap aint it, that X-FI does sound fantastic, but as i said when i got it, the drivers are just bloated sh*t..... Fu*king Creative Wan*ers....:wall:

I wonder why there is so many copies of stalker on ebay at the mo.....? :rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
happy036.gif

I removed the ct_oal.dll (but kept it just in case) and for the first time i heard the disk spin up, and it fired up first time!! So if you got a Creative sound card, be prepared to have to do this to get it to work. If not then you should be fine as its installed with the creative drivers.

Lets hope thats the end of this madness.........

*Note to anyone who gets/got this game....... If you play the game and then install the patch bizarrely your original save games WONT work. :rolleyes: You will have to start again....crap i know but though i'd warn ya.

muckshifter

Reaction score
At last ... :thumb:

Now, you will have to us / me some feedback on what the game is actually like. I understand it is Vista ready, or at least I should be able to "play" it.

I don't have creative sound. ;)

Ask a Question