S-ATA drive not accessible to some stand-alone utilities..

Louis

Hello !

A friend of mine brought his Compaq 6820s laptop for some maintenance
and configuration work. More specifically, he wants to split the 250Gb
C: drive in smaller partitions.

The drive is an Hitachi Travelstat 5K250 - HTS542525K9SA00 S-ATA disk.

Any reason why this model is completly invisible to the stand alone
(bootable CD) version of softwares such as Paragon Partition Manager
Professional v9 or Acronis Disk Director v10 ?

BTW, the bootable CD of Acronis True Image - Home v11 can flawlessly
access and image the partitions on the drive.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

Rod Speed

Louis said:
A friend of mine brought his Compaq 6820s laptop for some maintenance and configuration work. More specifically, he
wants to split the 250Gb C: drive in smaller partitions.
The drive is an Hitachi Travelstat 5K250 - HTS542525K9SA00 S-ATA disk.
Any reason why this model is completly invisible to the stand alone
(bootable CD) version of softwares such as Paragon Partition Manager Professional v9 or Acronis Disk Director v10 ?

Quite a few laptops play silly buggers with the visibility of the hard
drive essentially to protect the recovery partition thats on the drive
as well as the main C drive thats used for the OS install.
BTW, the bootable CD of Acronis True Image - Home v11 can flawlessly access and image the partitions on the drive.
Any suggestion ?

If you have a legal copy of DD, see what Acronis has to say about that.

Louis

Rod Speed avait écrit le 2008-02-26 :
Quite a few laptops play silly buggers with the visibility of the hard
drive essentially to protect the recovery partition thats on the drive
as well as the main C drive thats used for the OS install.

Thanks for your reply,

I finally found something : I disabled "Native SATA mode" in the
"Device configurations" section of the BIOS and everything is now fine.

Arno Wagner

Previously Louis said:
Rod Speed avait écrit le 2008-02-26 :
Thanks for your reply,
I finally found something : I disabled "Native SATA mode" in the
"Device configurations" section of the BIOS and everything is now fine.

Ah, that would mean it is now presented as ATA drive to the computer.
Should be fine as long as you do not want advanced features like
hot-plugging.

Arno

Stretch

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
Ah, that would mean it is now presented as ATA drive to the computer.

Nope, it means that the driver needed is now available from his bootcd.
Should be fine as long as you do not want advanced features like
hot-plugging.

Native and legacy mode are how the controller presents itself to the system.