Windows Vista Running very Slow

Reaction score
Recently my computer has been very sluggish, both in launching programmes and navigating within them. I sometimes get freezing.

I have run several anti virus scans, using different programmes and also some malware and adaware scans, without negative results. The only negative report is via Spybot Search and destroy, which says I have TrojanC.sbi, which none of the other scans confirm.

Speedtests are very good and I have masses of unused capacity on my HD.

Any ideas please?

Reaction score
mikemaber said:
Recently my computer has been very sluggish, both in launching programmes and navigating within them. I sometimes get freezing.

I have run several anti virus scans, using different programmes and also some malware and adaware scans, without negative results. The only negative report is via Spybot Search and destroy, which says I have TrojanC.sbi, which none of the other scans confirm.

Speedtests are very good and I have masses of unused capacity on my HD.

Any ideas please?

Have you removed the Trojan..?

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.

No, I haven't removed it and don't know how to. As I said earlier only Spbot said I had one.

Can you give me any advice/instructions please?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Uninstall SBS&D ... it, err, not that good ... in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Go get the FREE version of SuperAntiSpyware update and run it. Then go get Malwarebytes and run that.

Next, pop along to Housecall and do a "Scan Now" it's free, or even the new version ... you can even use Kaspersky online scanner also.

Then, I recommend you get an AntiVirusProgram ... or you could just go get This All-in-One
nod.gif

You could mix-n-match with other security programs, but I like it simple ... KISS

user.gif

Reaction score
I deleted Spybot in order to download a possibly newer version, but now cannot find the free version, only paid for. Nowhere on their site is a free version. A ideas please?

I have already run a Housecall scan, which found no problems. It is only Spybot which claims to have found a trojan.

As far as anti virus programmes go, I already have AVG, set up for daily scans. Also Defender. I will act on your advice re Malwarebytes.

Thanks for suggestions.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I deleted Spybot in order to download a possibly newer version, but now cannot find the free version, only paid for. Nowhere on their site is a free version. A ideas please?
Don't bother with it ... :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
As you suggested muckshifter, downloaded and did a scan with Malwarebytes which did not find anything.

Why do you tell me not to bother with Spybot?

muckshifter

Reaction score
It's not that good, as you have seen, the others I suggested are a good replacment.

:user:

Reaction score
I have now done a scan with SuperAntiSpyware. It detected 120 tracking cookies which I have deleted.

After all these scans I can only presume that the Spybot trojan alert was false. My machine is still running very slow, but may be I have just got to put with that, unless you have any ideas.

Thanks for your invaluable help. mike

muckshifter

Reaction score
Without a full spec on your system I can only run through some "common-sense" things to do.

You've ruled out the obvious, a Trojan, Malware, Spyware, crapware & viruses though I would still have used Housecall and or Kaspersky's on-line scanners to easy my mind. ;)

What to do then ...

Add more ram ... XP has a sweet spot of 1.5MB ram, Vista is around 3MB ... anymore is just cos we have to buy it that way to mount on MBs, ie 2gb for XP, 4gb Vista ... if you already have that, then ...

Uninstall or stop programs that insist they have to be loaded at startup, amazing how many are there on most, if not all, propriety made PCs such as Dell, Acer & such. It's called "decrapifying" your PC ... there is a program that will help you, it's called ... Decrapifier :D

Re-format the hard drive, drastic innit, but some people actually do that, a lazy way to speed up any OS, it don't last long ... would be better to get to know what the OS must have and what you can do without.

oh, and you could defrag the system, may even help.

good luck

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks again muckshifter. I did a scan with Decrapifier and deleted lots which I thought were not necessary. However, I now have huge letters on the monitor, so must have deleted something I should not have!

muckshifter

Reaction score
oh bugger

ouch!! :confused:

You gotta laugh, or you'll cry ... it's only a machine. :D

Dunno what to suggest there, not sure what would be uninstalled, apart from the graphics divers, that would do that to my PC ... is there an undo function on decrapifirer ... or maybe restore the PC could help?

Is this a propriety built PC, Dell or something ?? They'll have "recovery" disks, though I would rather cut me testis off then use them, you may yet get some rest bite from doing so ... back-up ALL data before proceeding any further.

:thumb:

Ask a Question