Running "Repair" with a legal copy of Win XP Prof

John Leonard - Sage

I need to do a repair on a system that is running Win XP Prof.

I do not have the original CD that came with the computer.

My Question - can I use another legal copy of the operating system, Windows XP Prof and run the repair?

or do I have to use the CD that came with the computer?

Am I not correct the "Repair" does not ask for the product key.

The reason I need to do this - Parasite and Virus software destroyed some of the operating system files.

For example - I cannot get the correct colors or show a desktop picture (other than white)?

David Candy

Perhaps sfc will do it without a cd at all. Type it in help.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments
I need to do a repair on a system that is running Win XP Prof.

I do not have the original CD that came with the computer.

My Question - can I use another legal copy of the operating system, Windows XP Prof and run the repair?

or do I have to use the CD that came with the computer?

Am I not correct the "Repair" does not ask for the product key.

The reason I need to do this - Parasite and Virus software destroyed some of the operating system files.

For example - I cannot get the correct colors or show a desktop picture (other than white)?

John

Hi
Are you saying that it is only your display settings that are corrupt?
If so post back which display settings are not enabled or missing.

Reagrds

John

--
MCP Windows XP Professional
I need to do a repair on a system that is running Win XP Prof.

I do not have the original CD that came with the computer.

My Question - can I use another legal copy of the operating system, Windows XP Prof and run the repair?

or do I have to use the CD that came with the computer?

Am I not correct the "Repair" does not ask for the product key.

The reason I need to do this - Parasite and Virus software destroyed some of the operating system files.

For example - I cannot get the correct colors or show a desktop picture (other than white)?

John

Hi
Before you reinstall/repair windows try this

Copy the text between the lines to notepad and save the file as DisplayEnable.reg
Run the saved file and hopefully you should have your display tab seetings available to you.

---------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallPaper"=dword:00000000
"NoAddingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoDeletingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoEditingComponents"=dword:00000000
"NoCloseDragDropBands"=dword:00000000
"NoMovingBands"=dword:00000000
"NoHTMLWallPaper"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispCPL"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000

----------------------------------

Post back with outcome

Regards

John
--
MCP Windows XP Professional
I need to do a repair on a system that is running Win XP Prof.

I do not have the original CD that came with the computer.

My Question - can I use another legal copy of the operating system, Windows XP Prof and run the repair?

or do I have to use the CD that came with the computer?

Am I not correct the "Repair" does not ask for the product key.

The reason I need to do this - Parasite and Virus software destroyed some of the operating system files.

For example - I cannot get the correct colors or show a desktop picture (other than white)?

Michael Stevens

John said:
[...]

It would need to be an OEM version if XP came with the computer.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

North Coast Sea Foods

Thanks to all for your attempt to help me.

I found my problem!

The desktop custom theme was setup (some how?) to display Web pages.

When I changed that - all is now ok!

]