rundll32

J

Joe

I'm having problems with installing programs using InstallShield and have found that I have a bad
rundll32.exe file...Can someone tell me how I can fix it ? I'm running WinXP SP2 with latest
updates..have a small home wireless network with one computer. My computer is the hub. I
believe this rundll32 file is needed for Windows Installer to work.. Is that correct? Any help would
be greatly appreciated...

Joe

J

Joe

What makes you think so, Joe?

More info needed, in detail!

Hi Kelly.....trying to install program Stuffit Deluxe 9.0, I get the error message
1607: Unable to install InstallShield scripting runtime. In the Event Viewer it says
Product: ISScript - Internal error 2761 and on the source Tab it says MsiInstaller,
which is the WindowsInstaller...Right? Anyway I did a search on the 1607 code
and found info on the InstallShield web site that lead me to believe that WinInstaller
is not recognizing the .dll driver file that is supposed to install StuffIt...I searched
Local Drive C: for "rundll32.exe" and got several returns, but the icon on the left
shows a light blue page with the top right corner folded down...After I try to open
the file, check Task Manager, it's not there...Shouldn't it show up in Task Manager
when I open it...I've seen it there before...I've been having problems for a couple
of weeks now...It all started when I tried to upgrade Shockwave player from the
8.5 version to Shockwave 10...It would load up to 99% then give me an error msg
"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications.
Please rerun this installation from an administrators account". I was and have been
the logged-on administrator with no other user account. I was told that I could go
into Safe Mode and give myself "Full Control", which I did for the entire Local drive C:
I've been having problems ever since...In addition to the info give in my first post,
I'm running Norton System Works 2005/Norton Personal Firewall with all the latest
updates...Windows Firewall turned off...I also run Panicware Pop-up Stopper
Professional...I've been using these programs for a couple of years with no problems
in the past, as far as installing/accessing/uninstalling programs...I also have problems
opening a couple of applications that I never had trouble with before...I don't know if
these problems have anything to do with the rundll32.exe file though...I appreciate
you replying to my first post...Thanks for any help.....

Joe

G

I am having the same issue with this 1607 unable to install...
Specifically, I run into this with a iTunes update, and with OOTP2006
(baseball manager game) installation. I have gone though several of various
solution that I have found.

Here is one:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-n...nstall-installshield.html?highlight=installer

I went through everything with no success. They all seem to center on
something to do with the Version 2 of Windows Installer. Is there a way to go
back to version 1? I have the new version of Installer and no hotfix with
version 1. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Installer 3 times, iTunes
twice, OOTP 3 times. This is definitely a system problem. I have not seen
anything referring to a bad run32.dll file.

One strange thing that I did come across was when trying to configure the
security settings for Installer. This particular solution suggested going
into the installer directory (c:windows\installer) to check the properties.
Problem is, I have no installer directory! Yes, I "unhid" the files for
viewing. I even checked through the command prompt and no installer directory
exists on my version of XP (windows xp pro, 5.1.2600).

Ask a Question