Run Linux in Windows

Article Run Linux in Windows

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
"I know linux partitions are not accessible from MS Windows (although we can access windows partitions from linux)"

Your satement is not true.

You can access linux partitions from a Windows OS.

http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

happywave.gif

Thanks much for this info. Will try it and if it works that will be of great help.

Anybody, any advice on my main question?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You can run GNU/Linux OS's with virtualization software on a Windows pc. You can also run Windows OS's with virtualization software on a GNU/Linix pc.
There are several diferent applications to do this but they all run much slower than an ordinary OS.
Can not offer any more advice as I have never used virtualization software apart from MokaFive.

http://www.mokafive.com/

Dual booting is your fastest option.Though I did have a lot of fun with the Moka stuff.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
This is great. I will try this and VirtualBox as well and share my experience.

Thanks a lot buddy for taking your time to reply.

- Ramesh

Reaction score
I had to add a step

These are excellent step-by-step directions!

I just used them to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a VM running on Vista.

I had one problem. When I was all done the network driver was not installed or at least it wasn't working. I solved this problem by going down to the the bottom of the VM window and made sure the right virtual network adaptor was selected. In my case it was the Broadcom 4322AG. Once I had that selected I renistalled Ubuntu and then I was able to configure WPA and get connected to my wireless router.

Reaction score
144David said:
These are excellent step-by-step directions!

I just used them to install Ubuntu 9.04 on a VM running on Vista.

I had one problem. When I was all done the network driver was not installed or at least it wasn't working. I solved this problem by going down to the the bottom of the VM window and made sure the right virtual network adaptor was selected. In my case it was the Broadcom 4322AG. Once I had that selected I renistalled Ubuntu and then I was able to configure WPA and get connected to my wireless router.

Cool...Congrats!

I too have installed Fedora 10 on Vista using VirtualBox and is running fine. I had also installed Fedora 10 previously with Vista in dual boot configuration but as my ISP does not support Linux I was not able to use Internet when I boot my PC with Fedora. But now inside Windows Vista I can access it so that I can have all the upgrades to my Fedora done.

Reaction score
is the UI reaction time extra the same as if you put a dual boot with linux on one partition?
i have windows on c:
and linux on d: (what used to be d: i put windows first and made c, d, e,... drives)

all fine except when i start up i need to be quick to change the OS if i want to go to linux or need to make it reboot ... i like the linux other wise. but i want to try thisif the experience is the same. can i access my current linux partition from the new vistual one?

Reaction score
matrix09X said:
is the UI reaction time extra the same as if you put a dual boot with linux on one partition?
i have windows on c:
and linux on d: (what used to be d: i put windows first and made c, d, e,... drives)

all fine except when i start up i need to be quick to change the OS if i want to go to linux or need to make it reboot ... i like the linux other wise. but i want to try thisif the experience is the same. can i access my current linux partition from the new vistual one?

VirtualBox will create a virtual hard disk on the windows partition. It will ask you how much space to devote for this virtual hard disk and also how much memory (RAM) to allocate.

In my case OS is Vista and am using VirtualBox to run Fedora 10. I have allocated 15 GB hard disk to Fedora and 512 MB RAM out total 2 GB. It works fine for me. Both OS work fine without being slow. The total RAM usage goes around 1.5 GB in my case when both OS are running.

One good thing for me is I can access Internet from my virtual Linux configuration which was not possible with dual boot configuration as my ISP does not provide Linux support. In case of virtual configuration my Linux is running inside Windows so net access is possible as it is using same net connection as Windows networking software is using. So I can have my Linux updated which I could not do with standalone booting of Linux in dual mode configuration.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to your article I got Ubuntu 9.10 running under Windows 7. The only difference I saw between your article and my experience was that some of the screens appear in a different order or are missing entirely. Also, in order to mount the ISO image I had to go to the Virtual PC window, right-click on the Ubuntu session and select properties. Then right-click on the CD drive and mount the ISO there instead. After that the install was smooth sailing.

Reaction score
Mr FBS is from the darkside!

You mean Uncle Bill really does alllow a windows pc to run linux on it?
Is their not code or some hocuspocus that stops people running it?
Will this all end in world domination?

Reaction score
And I'm so fed up w/ Vista that I actually tried really installing Linux. And yes, it all went down in flames. Nice way to waste a perfectly good weekend,too. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
AppleFanboy said:
And I'm so fed up w/ Vista that I actually tried really installing Linux. And yes, it all went down in flames. Nice way to waste a perfectly good weekend,too. :lol:

Which distro did you try?

To be quite honest most Linux distros are now so user-friendly that any old numbnuts could install a distro alongside Windows.

Using that Distro, however, should you choose to step outside certain perimeters, is a different ball game.

There are a few distros where you could fall foul if you're inexperienced, Slackware for instance.

And just out of interest did you know, AppleFanBoy, that Linux and Apple OS's are both based on Unix?

Now there's a thing eh?

Ask a Question