"Rumbling" Rig

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: Just read the other posts here, I use magnetic screwdrivers all the time on AV equipment and computers, especially a long pozidriv # 1 screwdriver, it's invaluable for placing screws.

Another myth debunked I'm afraid, the tiny magnetic field on the end of a small screwdriver is not going to scramble the data on any of your hard disks, believe me. They're inside a sturdy metal case which offers ample protection.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Fans can make some funny noises. Your cpu cooler under the fan looks pretty dusty. Take the fan of or with the fan in place use a small artists brush (four for a pound in the cheapy shop) put some tape ( electrical, masking or selotape) around the metal bit on the brush and gently loosen the dust , blow and hoover away.

These may be the sort of disc quieting bits you mentioned,

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...in+Anti-Vibration+HDD+mounts+?productId=28884

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Flopps, thank you for the advice - I thought it would need to be something "pronged" so now that I know the kind of thing to look out for, I can have a rummage through Terry's tools - he's probably got some suitable pliers, mine aren't thin enough - or, I might even have some suitable craft tweezers which would do the trick :thumb: They would certainly be sufficient to be able to "test" the tightness with, I think.

Abarbarian - my bad - I spotted that I'd "missed" areas on that fan, after taking the pics. That's when I dug out some of my artist brushes, nice long handles and a good size for getting at the awkward bits. So it was nice and clean before I put the side back on.

Yes! The "Nexus Disktwin Anti-Vibration HDD mounts" is what I saw a while ago (but couldn't find when I began this thread :rolleyes: ) I will try out the screw adjustment first though, because right at this moment, it is all running quietly! Lol Isn't that always the way of things :p

Thanks to both of you I appreciate the help
:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My PC case sits on my desk, you don't know what 'rumblings' is till you work at my desk. :nod:

Your HD is not 'screwed' in place, they use them silly plastic 'quick-fit' thingies and looking at it, you ain't got any screw-holes to do the job anyway. Try a hot-glue-gun. :thumb:

I wouldn't mess around with the HSF or CPU mountings, they using 'anti-tamper' screws ... I have a set of screw-drivers for them, only needed them to get into some HP/Dell/ComCrap/InsetNameofPC here ... now everyone seems to let you screw around. :D

Invest in some rubber feet for the case, or shove the thing out the shed so you wont hear it. ;)

I also have always used a magnetic screwdriver, never believe all you read. :nod:

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
That's the annoying thing Mucks, the rumble isn't continuous at all, only now and then, it's quiet as you like at the moment, but if I were to do an AV scan, it would rumble happily to itself until it was finished, then be quiet again. It has always done this, so not sure if it's going to have a short but happy life, or whether it is likely to just carry on for ages, because it's just a "quirk" of the machine... okay, maybe "quirk" isn't quite the right term to use, but you probably know what I mean ;)

I'm not being deliberately dense, but are you serious about a hot glue gun? And if so, where should I apply it? (Keeping answers clean please :lol: )

Basically, if the rumble isn't doing GBH to the PC, we can live with it, but if it is and I can "rescue" it, then that's what I was aiming for really.... hopefully without causing more by interfering, that is :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nexus Disktwin Anti-Vibration HDD mounts , they looked quite good to me for a fiver. An easy to try solution , thats if you have a spare bay, and if you were ordering from a supplier. Seen several other similar types but they looked quite good.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
but if I were to do an AV scan, it would rumble happily to itself until it was finished, then be quiet again.

Well, that's intense hard disk activity. Did I miss something in an earlier post?

Some hard disks are noisy. The mounting of some hard disks will make them noisier than usual.

My WD Raptors are the noisiest disks I have, actually, and as they're being used with Vista I'm frequently aware of their working.

It wouldn't hurt to check the tightness of the CPU heatsink fan screws but as Mucks says, they are unlikely to come loose, they're a sort of long thin self-tapper that usually screws in between two heatsink fins.

I haven't come across one like that since the days of my Abit KT-7 RAID board though, probably because I don't use standard CPU coolers.

Not that there's anything wrong with 'em mind, it's just me :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just noticed that you are running a Athalon cpu. If it is your cooling fan I have a brand new AMD cpu cooler that came with me 4800 that you can have for peanuts or possibly some stamps.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Just noticed that you are running a Athalon cpu. If it is your cooling fan I have a brand new AMD cpu cooler that came with me 4800 that you can have for peanuts or possibly some stamps.

AMD make Athlon series CPU's.

That's Athlon.

Not Athalon.

Athlon.

This has been a public service provided by Mr Stomp and his floppy pair of Dr Martens.

Thank you.

Carry on.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
AMD make Athlon series CPU's.

That's Athlon.

Not Athalon.

Athlon.

This has been a public service provided by Mr Stomp and his floppy pair of Dr Martens.

Thank you.

Carry on.

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
:p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well, that's intense hard disk activity. Did I miss something in an earlier post?

Well I tried to describe its behaviour in my first post, but probably not very well. :blush: But if you've had some noisy disks, then maybe this one is "normal" ... well, I can hope eh? This noisy one is XP... the Vista rig is whisper-quiet.

Abarbarian said:

Gosh, that's a very kind offer, thank you. I'd be happy to buy it from you as a standby, if you'd like to pm me with price and postage, please :thumb: :D

Psssst! ...Don't look around, but "Sir" is about to throw his blackboard eraser across the room at you for spelling :eek: Duck....!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC, the operating system won't influence the noise the disk makes. If anything, a system running Vista should be noisier as it's constantly reading and writing to the hard disk with all those supposed 'improvements' ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK ... TC

YOU have a "noisy" insert "rumbling" hard drive ... me too!!

NO action is required on your behalf to "fix" the "problem", taking a look at the innards of your PC, I see they ain't much you can do ... maybe mount the PC case in a vacuum. ;)

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I don't mind it chattering and grumbling to itself, as long as it's not doing itself a mischief :thumb: :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Gosh, that's a very kind offer, thank you. I'd be happy to buy it from you as a standby, if you'd like to pm me with price and postage, please :thumb: :D

Psssst! ...Don't look around, but "Sir" is about to throw his blackboard eraser across the room at you for spelling :eek: Duck....!

The one you have should run for ages as it was new not so long ago. If you need this one it will be waiting sitting in its box on me shelf with your name on it.

"Sir" will get the same as me old school teacher if he throws an eraser at me !!! :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww thanks very much Abarbarian, :thumb: that is very kind of you :D

Oh, and can I be the one who yells "Fight..Fight..!" when you're getting your own back on Sir hee hee ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Aww thanks very much Abarbarian, :thumb: that is very kind of you :D

Oh, and can I be the one who yells "Fight..Fight..!" when you're getting your own back on Sir hee hee ;)

Sir kept his bike in the bike sheds which were at the back of the school and could not be seen by folks in the school as there were no windows in that direction. So one day someone undid all, yes thats all of the nuts on said bike. Sir came along and pulled bike from rack and was left holding handlebars with pile of bits on floor . Was most amusing. I think the miscreant was aged thirteen at the time but that could be just a roumour. Apparently he went on to lead a wicked life.

:p

No physical fighting was involved but the enemy was utterly routed.

laughingsmiley.gif