root\CIMV2\Win32_Processor

Chris Hills

Hi

Is there documentation that lists the entries in the class
root\CIMV2\Win32_Processor? I am particularly interested in the values
of "Architecture".

Regards

Chris Hills

Chris said:
Is there documentation that lists the entries in the class
root\CIMV2\Win32_Processor? I am particularly interested in the values
of "Architecture".

To clarify, I need to differentiate between x86, ia64 and amd64
architectures.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Chris said:
To clarify, I need to differentiate between x86, ia64 and amd64
architectures.
Hi,

Win32_Processor class [WMI]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_processor.asp

<quote>
Architecture
Data type: uint16
Access type: Read-only

Processor architecture that the platform uses.
Value Meaning
0 x86
1 MIPS
2 Alpha
3 PowerPC
6 Intel Itanium Processor Family (IPF)

</quote>

With ia64 I would think you mean IA-32 Intel Architecture processors
with 64-bit extensions, or Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology
(Intel EM64T), also sometimes referred to as IA-32e.

The Architecture property will return 0 (x86) for an EM64T processor
(and for amd64 as well I think).

To see if an Intel processor supports EM64T, you will need to use
Intel's CPUID instructions to read the extended feature flags in the
EDX CPU register.

More about this in the 24161828.pdf document available for download
here:
http://www.intel.com/design/xeon/applnots/241618.htm

Chris Hills

Torgeir said:
Chris said:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

From this, can I take that there is no way to differentiate between
x86, ia64 and amd64 processors using wmi?

Jim Vierra

Look at Win32.AddressWidth and Name. These may only be available on XP and 2003 and the MS docs have not been updated.

Here is a complete listing from XP. I will try to capture 2 differnet Xeons and a Pentium IV on 2003. I have highlited the interesting features.

AMD will show AMD and Address Width will be 64. I don't know what AMD does for name but Intel always puts the processs family name in.

Address - 32
Architecture - 0
Availability - 3
Caption - x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
ConfigManagerErrorCode -
ConfigManagerUserConfig -
CpuStatus - 1
CreationClassName - Win32_Processor
CurrentClockSpeed - 547
CurrentVoltage - 28
DataWidth - 32
Description - x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
DeviceID - CPU0
ErrorCleared -
ErrorDescription -
ExtClock - 100
Family - 17
InstallDate -
L2CacheSize - 512
L2CacheSpeed - 273
LastErrorCode -
Level - 6
LoadPercentage - 16
Manufacturer - GenuineIntel
MaxClockSpeed - 547
Name - Intel Pentium III processor
OtherFamilyDescription -
PNPDeviceID -
PowerManagementCapabilities -
PowerManagementSupported - False
ProcessorId -
ProcessorType - 3
Revision - 1795
Role - CPU
SocketDesignation - J22
Status - OK
StatusInfo - 3
Stepping - 3
SystemCreationClassName - Win32_ComputerSystem
SystemName - OMEGA
UniqueId -
UpgradeMethod - 8
Version - Model 7, Stepping 3
VoltageCaps -
Exit code: 0 , 0000h

--
Jim Vierra

Chris Hills said:
Torgeir said:
Chris said:
Chris Hills wrote:

[...]

From this, can I take that there is no way to differentiate between

Jim said:
[...]

Thanks for that. The reason I am trying to find out is because I want to
assign some software to computers. Take for example the Microsoft Volume
Shadow Copy Client Utilities, it is distributed for three different
platforms - i386, amd64 and ia64. I do not want to have to come up with
a way that users will select and install the right one!

Regards

Jim Vierra

You should be able to look for 32/64 bits and AMD or Intel in the
"Manufacturer" string. User accounts can probably not read the processor
info. Look in AD. You will see computer info in the computer object that
shows OS. The OS should give you the info. AD collects much of this
information. There are three operatingsystems settings that might be
useful.

I would run a script on the domain that can discover the processor type and
encode it into the description field in ad. Anyone can read this field. A
script running under the user account could retrieve this and be pointed at
the right version of the software.

I encode numerous useful bits in the description field such as [Bob
Jones][Ext:123][4FL-Right][AM64]

James Crosswell

Jim said:
You should be able to look for 32/64 bits and AMD or Intel in the
"Manufacturer" string. User accounts can probably not read the processor
info. Look in AD. You will see computer info in the computer object that
shows OS. The OS should give you the info. AD collects much of this
information. There are three operatingsystems settings that might be
useful.

I would run a script on the domain that can discover the processor type and
encode it into the description field in ad. Anyone can read this field. A
script running under the user account could retrieve this and be pointed at
the right version of the software.

I encode numerous useful bits in the description field such as [Bob
Jones][Ext:123][4FL-Right][AM64]

You can modify the AD schema to provide explicit support for all 4 of
those pieces of information, just as you can modify a database schema right?

--

Best Regards,

James Crosswell
Software Engineer
Microforge.net Limited
http://www.microforge.net

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

James said:
Jim said:
[...]

Yes, that is correct, more here:

From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.adsi.general
Subject: Add Attributes to your Active Directory Schema and Manage
their Permissions Efficiently
Date: 16 May 2005 13:01:23 -0700

<quote>
In case anyone is interested, we wrote a short paper on Active
Directory attributes and their security. The paper shows how to create
a new Active Directory attribute, add it to an existing container (user
class), and configure its security using Active Directory control
access rights.

To perform each of the steps, the paper employs four different
techniques: administration via the GUI, administration via the command
line, scripting using the COM ADSI interfaces in VBScript, and
programming using the DirectoryServices library in Visual Basic .NET.

Add Attributes to your Active Directory Schema and Manage their
Permissions Efficiently
Philippe Lacoude & Rajnish Sinha
Washington, D.C.
April 2005 (Version 1.1)
http://www.lacoude.com/docs/public/Attributes.aspx

</quote>

Jim Vierra

HI
I would have proposed modifying AD to do this but it seems unnecessary in
small domains. AD is the best place to save this info as it is central.
Updating the info can be done "in batch" or via a startup script. WMI could
be enhanced with an Event that would update this or any other method that
suits you organization.

Thanks for the very useful info Torgeir.

--
Jim Vierra

From: (e-mail address removed)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.adsi.general

[...]