RIS install hangs at "Setup is starting Windows"

Richard Grainger

Hi,

Can anyone help with this? Our Remote Installetion setup was working
fine up until last week when it stopped working for no reason that I
can see.

Our Setup:

Domain controllers: Windows 2003 Server fully patched
RIS Server: Windows 2003 Server fully patched
Operating system deployed: Windows XP Pro with SP1 slip-streamed

This used to work fine and I haven't changed anything. Now the
install hangs in textmode with the message "Setup is starting
Windows". There is a message in the event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: BINLSVC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1101
Date: 26/02/2004
Time: 12:04:53
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxx
An error occurred during parsing of an INF file netclass.inf in the
given section Manufacturer.

I have tried creating a new disk image including a non-SP1 image, but
they all hang at the same place.

Richard.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Does Not Respond at "Setup Is Starting Windows XP" Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310760&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Richard Grainger" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Hi,
|
| Can anyone help with this? Our Remote Installetion setup was working
| fine up until last week when it stopped working for no reason that I
| can see.
|
| Our Setup:
|
| Domain controllers: Windows 2003 Server fully patched
| RIS Server: Windows 2003 Server fully patched
| Operating system deployed: Windows XP Pro with SP1 slip-streamed
|
| This used to work fine and I haven't changed anything. Now the
| install hangs in textmode with the message "Setup is starting
| Windows". There is a message in the event log:
|
| Event Type: Warning
| Event Source: BINLSVC
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 1101
| Date: 26/02/2004
| Time: 12:04:53
| User: N/A
| Computer: xxxxxx
| An error occurred during parsing of an INF file netclass.inf in the
| given section Manufacturer.
|
| I have tried creating a new disk image including a non-SP1 image, but
| they all hang at the same place.
|
| Richard.

Richard Grainger

Carey,

Thanks, but I'd already seen this kb article. In fact
I've seen every kb article that mentions this message.

Just to reiterate: RIS was working fine up until some
time last week. Machines that we could install last week
we now can't install. The machines have standard ide
drives, so 3rd party storage drivers aren't the problem.

The only changes we have made to the servers are possibly
security updates from Windows Update to the domain
controllers and RIS server. We have also changed our
domain and server passwords in the last week.

I suspect an update from Windows Update to the domain
controllers has broken RIS, but I've got no evidence.

Richard.

----- Richard Grainger wrote: ----

Hi

Can anyone help with this? Our Remote Installetion setup was workin
fine up until last week when it stopped working for no reason that
can see

Our Setup

Domain controllers: Windows 2003 Server fully patche
RIS Server: Windows 2003 Server fully patche
Operating system deployed: Windows XP Pro with SP1 slip-streame

This used to work fine and I haven't changed anything. Now th
install hangs in textmode with the message "Setup is startin
Windows". There is a message in the event log

Event Type: Warnin
Event Source: BINLSV
Event Category: Non
Event ID: 110
Date: 26/02/200
Time: 12:04:5
User: N/
Computer: xxxxx
Description
An error occurred during parsing of an INF file netclass.inf in th
given section Manufacturer

I have tried creating a new disk image including a non-SP1 image, bu
they all hang at the same place

Richard

NIC Student

It sounds like a driver issue. Failure while parsing the INF also indicates
a driver issue. My guess is video drivers, you'll need to add the drivers
again for video if you are using the $oem$ folder method of adding
additional drivers. My guess is the driver(s) have been replaced by an
update or they have been damaged and are corrupt - if you haven't added them
with $oem$ maybe you will need to.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Richard Grainger"

Richard Grainger

No. Further analysis shows the problem must lie with the domain
controller/s. After moving the RIS server to a different domain with
a different domain controller the client install worked. This was
with the same images (which included a vanilla Win XP image anyway).

Any idea what the fault with the domain controller/s on the first
domain might be? I'd prefer not to have to reinstall them!

Incidentally the parsing error seems to always occur with or without
an install failure and with every image. Check your own event log and
you'll probably see it.

Richard Grainger

I have now solved this problem. The password for the local
Administrator on the RIS server had been changed so that it was
different form the Domain Administrator password. It seems that that
these passwords must be the same for the install to work. As far as I
can tell, this isn't documented and doesn't make much sense as the
client install screen requests a *domain* account and password.
Anyway, thanks for the responses.

NIC Student

Wierd. In our environment we have different domain admin and local admin
passwords on all servers and we haven't seen this issue. I'm glad you
found your solution.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Richard Grainger"

GusOga

Richard,
Your problem is that driver.cab a
'\\RISSERVER\RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\i386' folde
does not contains the apropriate drivers for your network card at P
you are trying to install.
You can follow instructions as per http://tinyurl.com/3zbx4
This is for Intel PC100 cards but the principles applies to any networ
card.
Drivers for the unsupported NIC must be copied to both i386 an
$oem$\$1\DriversFolder folders of your RIS server.
You must be sure that you are using the correct drivers.
Ocasinally, drivers that work in a machine that is up and running doe
not work at RIS installation time.
A doses of luck is often needed to find thouse correct drivers.
I guess that drivers you put at i386 folder are used at first steps o
installation time, while drivers you put at '$oem$\$1\drivers' are use
to configured the PC that is being installed at a later time.

Regards,
Gustavo Oga
Drogueria del Sud
Buenos Aires