Rights forgotten and passwords unsynced after restart (cause sp4?)

Mike

After I installed SP4, the domain account that is used to
run our veritas services fails to logon. I see this in the
event log:
Logon attempt with current password failed with the
following error:
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the
requested logon type at this computer.

and also this:
The Backup Exec 8.x Notification Server service failed to
start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

To fix this, I go into service manager and retype the
password. I get prompted that "This account has been
granted the right to logon as a service."

The next problem I get is the IIS IWAM account having the
passwords unsynced. I get these error messages:
DCOM got error "Overlapped I/O operation is in
progress. " and was unable to logon .\IWAM_FILESERV01 in
order to run the server:
{3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

and also this:
The server failed to load
application '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root'. The error was 'The
server process could not be started because the
configured identity is incorrect. Check the username an
password.

To resolve this I run c:\inetpub\adminscripts\synciwam.vbs
from command line.

Both of these solutions provide a semi-permanent fix. The
problem is that they must be performed after every
restart. It all started at the first restart after
installing sp4.

Any ideas?

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

To troubleshoot the logon failure, please try the suggestions in the
articles below.

259733 How to Troubleshoot Service Startup Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259733

297519 Server Application Error Message: "The server failed to load
application"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297519

297989 PRB: Configured Identity Is Incorrect for IWAM Account
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297989

In addition, please check the registry key below

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\crashonauditfail]

If the Datatype is REG_NONE and Data=2, change them to
Datatype=REG_DWORD,Data=0.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Vivien Wu
MCSA, MCSE2000 and MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

| From: "Mike" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Rights forgotten and passwords unsynced after restart (cause
sp4?)
| Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:40:02 -0700

Hello,

Would you please let me know what changes lost when you restarted the
computer?

Let us focus on the IIS IWAM account.

If you give "Logon as a batch job" rights to the IWAM_MACHINENAME and
IUSR_MACHINENAME accounts, do you still see the IWAM error?

After you restart the computer, does the "Logon as a batch job" right lose?

NOTE: If domain level policy settings are defined, they override local
policy settings. Make sure that the Effective Policy Setting is also
selected (this setting is dimmed).

Thank you for working with us.

Sincerely,

Vivien Wu
MCSA, MCSE2000 and MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so

Jay Griffin

Vivien,
Just as an FYI - I also started having this problem after installing
SP4. Everything I reboot I receive:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10004
Date: 7/21/2003
Time: 12:35:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BURKE-RPT-001
DCOM got error "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. " and was
unable to logon BURKEWH\qcwebsql in order to run the server:
{3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}

Several of my web pages won't work. If I go into Component Services
and re-type the password for for the IIS Out-of-Process identity, my
web pages start working again.

So I am anxiously monitoring this thread to hear what the fix is.
Thanks,
Jay

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

Hello Jay,

Have you tried the suggestions in the article below?

PRB: Logon Failure: Unknown User Name or Bad Password When You Run
Out-of-Process Webs
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255770

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jay Griffin)
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
| Subject: Re: Rights forgotten and passwords unsynced after restart (cause
sp4?)
| Date: 22 Jul 2003 05:04:27 -0700
|
| Vivien,
| Just as an FYI - I also started having this problem after installing
| SP4. Everything I reboot I receive:
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: DCOM
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 10004
| Date: 7/21/2003
| Time: 12:35:25 PM
| User: N/A
| Computer: BURKE-RPT-001
| DCOM got error "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. " and was
| unable to logon BURKEWH\qcwebsql in order to run the server:
| {3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1}
|
| Several of my web pages won't work. If I go into Component Services
| and re-type the password for for the IIS Out-of-Process identity, my
| web pages start working again.
|
| So I am anxiously monitoring this thread to hear what the fix is.
| Thanks,
| Jay

Sincerely,

Vivien Wu
MCSA, MCSE2000 and MCDBA2000
Microsoft Partner Online Support

When responding to posts, please Reply to Group via your newsreader so

Vivien Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Let us try the two steps below.

1. Match the password that is used by the IWAM_computer account in the IIS
metabase with the password that is used by the IWAM_computer account in
Active Directory manually.

To do it, refer to the article below.

269367 Synciwam Utility Does Not Function and Generates Error 80110414
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269367

2. Run synciwam.vbs

3. Restart the computer.

How about the IWAM problem? Thanks.