right-click pop-up menu

One Haole

In Windows Explorer it sometimes takes a very long time for the pop up menu
to appear after I right-click on a file. The time varies from 1 second to
about 30 sec. I like to delete files this way except that it can take so
long. I think the reason for the delay is because of the type of file and
therefor the number and types of options that appear. It doesn't seem to
have anything to do with the size of file. Pictures, audio, .zip and .doc
files always take a long time. I uninstalled a program I don't need that
had put options on that menu. Only one other outside program sometimes has
an option there but its appearance doesn't always mean a delay. When "send
to" or "open with" appear individually it doesn't seem to slow down all the
time. When they both appear I think it's always slow. I'd rather not have
these options at all if they are the reason for the delay.
1) Anyone know why there is a delay sometimes?
2) What can I do about it, even if it means fooling with the registry?
Thanks in advance, Pat.

(To contact directly, remove the "zyt" from the return address.)

One Haole

"Chris Lanier" wrote in message > Greetings
Temporary Decline in Performance Occurs When You Right-Click a File or
Folder in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819101
Thanks for your response but this isn't the problem. The article refers to
CPU usage while the menu exists on the screen. My problem is that it takes
a long time for the menu to appear. I checked Norton System Doctor and
there is no unusual CPU usage. Also, I tried both work arounds and neither
worked.

David Candy

It could be 52 million things, each in 90 mullion different places.

Ok. What we'll do is kill Open With and Sendto for a while and test your hypothsis. Also provide details on what is was you installed/uninstalled. I note the file types listed are types that explorer reads (for previews or infotips). EG explorer never opens a txt file, but does zip and doc and audio/picture.

To remove Open With type regedit in Start Run
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With
and export and then delete this key.

Then go to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To
and export and delete.

Help? If not try deleting (after exporting)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Post back. Reimport your files. Sere regedit's help.

One Haole

You're a genius. Thank you. I exported and deleted the first 2 keys you
mentioned. Not only does the right-click menu pop up immediately but
another problem I was having was fixed. Sometimes double clicking picture
files would take a long time to open in explorer, no matter how big the
file, no matter whether jpg or bmp, and no matter what program I had set in
folder options to open them. (I hate intermittent problems.) Now they
always open up immediately like they should on this P4 2GHz Dell with 512 MB
of RD RAM.

I had only uninstalled RAR which I never use anymore anyway. There were 4
options for RAR stuff in the pop-up menu. (I noticed it still has a
registry key.) I was thinking of uninstalling (or finding out how to remove
the options from that pop-up menu for) OmniPage and CuteFTP. Since there's
no delay now I'll leave them alone because I use them.

And I don't want to reimport open with or send to. If I change my mind
later I remember where I put them. In the meantime I'll just change the
open with programs in folder options if I need to but I almost always just
use one program for each type of file. I have never used send to. In fact
I had deleted everything I could of that option by deleting shortcuts in
options and settings. I think only the A drive and one other thing were
left. If you see a problem with not reimporting or with anything else I
said please let me know.

Thanks again. Pat

Kordau

I had the same problem. Right-click menu would take 20-30 seconds t
appear.

I only removed the "Open With" registry setting and *BAM*... instan
right-click menus again!

Thanks guys