restrict user access

YoungAdmin AtreyuLohan

I need to restrict user access to files in network drives. I need to make
files
available to users to view but restrict there ability to print, modify, even
copy
the file to additional locations and/or e-mails. I also need to restrict
there ability to
e-mail any files that reside in the protected directory. Can anyone suggest
how i can go about doing that?

MSFT

--------------------
From: "YoungAdmin AtreyuLohan" <[email protected]>
Subject: restrict user access
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:30:46 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.security

I need to restrict user access to files in network drives. I need to make
files
available to users to view but restrict there ability to print, modify, even
copy
the file to additional locations and/or e-mails. I also need to restrict
there ability to
e-mail any files that reside in the protected directory. Can anyone suggest
how i can go about doing that?

Howdy!

Unfortunately if a user can read a file, there is nothing you can do to prevent them from printing the file or copy it elsewhere. You can prevent modification by
only allowing Read access, but that is about it. It seems as though you are looking for a DRM/IRM (digital/information rights management) solution. If that is
the case, you are looking at a complete implementation of Office System 2003, Windows 2003 Server and Exchange 2003. This will allow you to protect
anything Office related but will not do anything for other file access.

Siddharth Sawkar
PSS Security

from your issue.