    (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?

    Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

    J.

    Jason Stacy, Nov 10, 2008

  2. Jason Stacy

    Bob I Guest

    perhaps MSCONFIG, BOOT.INI tab, Advanced Options, MAXMEM switch

    Bob I, Nov 10, 2008

  3. Jason Stacy

    Jesco Lincke Guest

    Jason Stacy schrieb:
    > Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
    > In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
    > have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
    > (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
    >
    > Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?
    >
    > J.

    Install a VM and allocate only 1 GB of memory...

    Jesco Lincke, Nov 10, 2008
  4. You can use the /MAXMEM= switch in the boot.ini file, you have to reboot
    for the switch to be enforced.

    John

    John John (MVP), Nov 10, 2008
  5. What's with the posting here
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support) if you only want a follow
    up on microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware?

    John John (MVP), Nov 10, 2008
  6. Jason Stacy

    Harry Guest

    Re: Restrict used physical memory from 2 to 1 GB (for testingpurposes)?

    On Nov 10, 2:08 pm, (Jason Stacy) wrote:
    > Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
    > In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
    > have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
    > (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
    >
    > Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

    boot.ini:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect /MAXMEM=1024

    Harry, Nov 10, 2008
  7. Jason Stacy

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Jason Stacy <> wrote:
    > Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
    > In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
    > have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
    > (of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?

    > Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

    > J.

    It depends. On some CPUs/Mainboards, you can simply remove 1GB.
    On others you cannot and you have to work around that limitation.
    "disabling" a stick will either difficult or involve removal
    anyways.

    The first option is to get 4 256MB sticks and put them in instead.
    I think there are no 512MB sticks.

    The second option is to have an application reserve 1GB. Note
    that this memory needs to be made unswappable. Under Linux and
    UNIX memory is locked with "mlock" and friends. Under Windows
    it seems this is not reliably possible, but may be enough for
    your needs. You can also try to just use 1GB in a way that makes
    swapping unlikely, e.g. read 1 byte of each tile in a loop
    all the time.

    I would say that pysical memory reduction is your best bet.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Nov 11, 2008
  8. Jason Stacy

    andy Guest

    On 10 Nov 2008 22:08:47 GMT, (Jason Stacy) wrote:

    >Currently in my are 2 GB of physical RAM.
    >In would like to test the performance impace for certain scenarios if I would
    >have only 1 GB physical memory. How can I decrease the total amount of usable memory
    >(of cause without removing physically 1 GB)?
    >
    >Is there a tool which "disables" the second 1 GB RAM stick?

    If you're running Windows XP, you can use the /maxmem= option in
    boot.ini.

    andy, Nov 11, 2008
  9. Jason Stacy

    Eric Gisin Guest