reply disabled in Remote Assistance.

bareill

My friend has asked for remote assistance. I have received his invitation
and password but when entering it the YES button *connect to computer now*
is greyed out. I thought it may be the firewall but I disabled that and
still no joy.

Michael Katz [MVP]

Are you using a router, or is your friend using one? I found that when I
attempted to send Remote Assistance invites from behind my router that I
wasn't able to connect because my local IP address was used instead of my
internet one.

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

bareill

Michael Katz said:
Are you using a router, or is your friend using one? I found that when I
attempted to send Remote Assistance invites from behind my router that I
wasn't able to connect because my local IP address was used instead of my
internet one.

I am using a router along with my laptop. I tried it on the laptop and made
some headway. Then I got the error message **Remote Assistance connection
could not be established because the remote host name could not be
resolved**. So I'll try again with a straight connection to the modem. I'll
keep in touch.
Thank you

bareill

--
Hi again Michael. I got it sorted out thanks to your insight. I connected
straight to the modem, disabled my third party firewall and enabled Windows

Michael Katz [MVP]

Always a pleasure :) I just hope Remote Assistance gets an update at some
point to fix this issue.

Michael Katz
[Microsoft MVP - MSN Client]
"There's no I in 'team' but there is 'me'"
http://msmvps.com/msntral

This posting is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

There's nothing to fix, Remote Assistance requires UPnP in order to work from behind a
router.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

bareill said:
Hi again Michael. I got it sorted out thanks to your insight. I connected straight to the
modem, disabled my third party firewall and enabled Windows XP firewall and that was it.
I thank you for taking the time to answer and giving me a bit more knowledge. Hopefully I
will be able to pass it on to someone else.
Thanks again.

Michael Katz [MVP]

Mine is UPnP and I still wasn't able to use it.

bareill said:
"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
Are you using a router, or is your friend using one? I found that when
I attempted to send Remote Assistance invites from behind my router
that I wasn't able to connect because my local IP address was used
instead of my internet one.

--
Hi again Michael. I got it sorted out thanks to your insight. I
connected straight to the modem, disabled my third party firewall and
enabled Windows XP firewall and that was it.
I thank you for taking the time to answer and giving me a bit more
knowledge. Hopefully I will be able to pass it on to someone else.
Thanks again.

bareill

I had UPnP enabled before coming off the Router.

bareill said:
"Michael Katz [MVP]" <michaelk[AT]mvps.org> wrote in message
Are you using a router, or is your friend using one? I found that when
I attempted to send Remote Assistance invites from behind my router
that I wasn't able to connect because my local IP address was used
instead of my internet one.

--
Hi again Michael. I got it sorted out thanks to your insight. I
connected straight to the modem, disabled my third party firewall and
enabled Windows XP firewall and that was it.
I thank you for taking the time to answer and giving me a bit more
knowledge. Hopefully I will be able to pass it on to someone else.
Thanks again.

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Hi,

Just to be clear, UPnP must be engaged in the router; not just in Windows.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Michael Katz said:
[...]

Tom Stuart

What is UPnP and how do I engage it in the router as well as Windows?
(Just knowing what UPnP might help me answer the other part of the
question).

Tom