Replace only fan on P4 3GHz Intel cpu?

wheel

One thing I've not be able to figure out is if it is possible to replace
just the fan on the stock Intel Pentium 4 3.0C w/ Hyper Threading...
it's way too loud. Or do I have to get the entire heat sink/fan combo? I
guess recommondations would be appreaciated.

Darkfalz

wheel said:
One thing I've not be able to figure out is if it is possible to replace
just the fan on the stock Intel Pentium 4 3.0C w/ Hyper Threading...
it's way too loud. Or do I have to get the entire heat sink/fan combo? I
guess recommondations would be appreaciated.

I'm seen them at the markets, original retail HSFs, they are like 15 bucks
Australian (10 bucks US).

Is the fan loud on a hot day under stress or does it actually sound like
it's grinding? Because if it's just the regular fan noise at 4500-5500 rpms,
then that's normal. Try enabling Q-Fan if you have it, it worked for me.

wheel

I'm seen them at the markets, original retail HSFs, they are like 15 bucks
Australian (10 bucks US).

Is the fan loud on a hot day under stress or does it actually sound like
it's grinding? Because if it's just the regular fan noise at 4500-5500 rpms,
then that's normal. Try enabling Q-Fan if you have it, it worked for me.
Hi

QFan is enabled and at the lowest ratio (11/16 or whatever it is). It's
not grinding but it's much louder than anything else on the case. I just
can't think that it's supposed to be like this.

Darkfalz

wheel said:
QFan is enabled and at the lowest ratio (11/16 or whatever it is). It's
not grinding but it's much louder than anything else on the case. I just
can't think that it's supposed to be like this.

You do realise how much heat P4s generate right? If it's not squeaking or
grinding, then yes - that's the level of noise it's supposed to be making.

Others have bought a Zalman fan etc. but I don't mind the noise, especially
since enabling Q-Fan.

LeeBos

Subject: Replace only fan on P4 3GHz Intel cpu?
From: wheel (e-mail address removed)
Date: 2/10/2004 12:16 AM Eastern Standard Time

One thing I've not be able to figure out is if it is possible to replace
just the fan on the stock Intel Pentium 4 3.0C w/ Hyper Threading...
it's way too loud. Or do I have to get the entire heat sink/fan combo? I
guess recommondations would be appreaciated.

If it's a Retail Box CPU and under warranty call Intel. They replaced mine
under warranty because it was very noisy, new one is a slightly different
design and quieter.

AS

I replaced the whole heatsink with a bigger with a respectable 8cm low speed
fan. In fact, the CPU gets some 5 degrees hotter under high load than with
the original, but still not over 60 C. Normally runs at approx. 40. The best
thing there's no high frequency noise.

wheel

I replaced the whole heatsink with a bigger with a respectable 8cm low speed
fan. In fact, the CPU gets some 5 degrees hotter under high load than with
the original, but still not over 60 C. Normally runs at approx. 40. The best
thing there's no high frequency noise.
No heatsink, only a fan? Can you point me to a brand/model?