Renaming user profile

D

Dave Logan

I'm running WinXP SP2. I've just bought a new laptop, and the only account was the administrator account and was called "Owner". I want it to be called "Dave Logan". I changed the name under Control Panel + User Accounts, but if I look at "C:\Documents and Settings", the folder for the account is still called "Owner" there, and if I try to rename the folder I get a message saying:

"Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be removed or renamed."

This makes no sense to me because on my old laptop (which is also running Win XP SP2), there is no folder in "C:\Documents and Settings" called "Owner". It has one called "Administrator, and I wouldn't mind having a profile called that, but I don't like "Owner" as a profile name. How do I rename it?

Dave

D

Dave Logan

Another weird thing: if I go to Control Panel + User Accounts and try to change the name of the account to "Administrator" it claims that "An account named Administrator already exists". But "Administrator " isn't listed in the list of accounts, and nor do I get an option to log in under that account name "Administrator" if I log off or restart. Whereas on my old laptop I have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the log on screen and can then type a username and password, on my new laptop, there's no Ctrl+Alt+Del screen and it displays my username and there's no textbox in which I can type a different one.

Also, on my old laptop, Control Panel + User Accounts is a dialog box, whereas on my new one it looks like an html page. It's almost as if the two laptops were running different operating systems, and yet they're both running Win XP SP2. Does anyone understand what's going on?

Dave

I'm running WinXP SP2. I've just bought a new laptop, and the only account was the administrator account and was called "Owner". I want it to be called "Dave Logan". I changed the name under Control Panel + User Accounts, but if I look at "C:\Documents and Settings", the folder for the account is still called "Owner" there, and if I try to rename the folder I get a message saying:

"Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be removed or renamed."

This makes no sense to me because on my old laptop (which is also running Win XP SP2), there is no folder in "C:\Documents and Settings" called "Owner". It has one called "Administrator, and I wouldn't mind having a profile called that, but I don't like "Owner" as a profile name. How do I rename it?

Dave

S

Shenan Stanley

Dave said:
I'm running WinXP SP2. I've just bought a new laptop, and the only
account was the administrator account and was called "Owner". I
want it to be called "Dave Logan". I changed the name under Control
Panel + User Accounts, but if I look at "C:\Documents and
Settings", the folder for the account is still called "Owner"
there, and if I try to rename the folder I get a message saying:

"Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to
run properly. It cannot be removed or renamed."

This makes no sense to me because on my old laptop (which is also
running Win XP SP2), there is no folder in "C:\Documents and
Settings" called "Owner". It has one called "Administrator, and I
wouldn't mind having a profile called that, but I don't like
"Owner" as a profile name. How do I rename it?

You have to create a new account with whatever name you want - logon as that
user, logoff and logon as owner, use files and settings transfer wizard to
export the profile, log out, log on as the new user and use the files and
settings transfer wizard to import the profile.

You can then get rid of owner, etc.

Ask a Question