removing

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Spyware Community' started by Guest, Jan 27, 2005.

    so I have a list of 75 spyware programs now what?
    I need to buy somethng to remove these programs/

    Guest, Jan 27, 2005

  2. Explain please?
    Microsoft Antispyware should offer you a choice of removing, ignoring, or
    quarntining most threats--do you not see such a choice after a scan
    completes?
    --
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.txt

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 27, 2005

    no I haven't seen the choice to remove ignore or quarntine
    the threats. it takes about 3 hours for the scan to run.
    i have twice started the scan later in the evening and in
    the morning it says it scanned but thats it. Am i missing
    something?

    Guest, Jan 28, 2005

    Pat Cook Guest

    Try AdAware SE Personal (free) and compare the scan
    results. Don't rely on just 1 anti-spyware program, but
    use at least two and compare results before deciding what
    to do about the results. Also, have you defragged the
    drive recently? Also, get RegVac (free for 30 days at
    superwin.com) to clean out & tune-up the registry.

    Pat Cook, Jan 28, 2005
  5. I'm not sure what is happening--you've clearly got a significant problem
    with the kinds of things this program is supposed to help out with.

    Can I ask that you 1) go to Tool, check for updates to get the latest
    definitions, and 2) restart your machine in safe mode, and do a full scan,
    not the quickscan. Do multiple scans, until one comes through clean. I can
    see that this will be a challenge in terms of time, but perhaps you can do a
    first scan in the evening, and then another to run overnight or something.

    The default action for a scheduled scan is to quarantine, I believe, but an
    attended scan should leave you at a screen which gives you choices. And the
    product ought to be able to remove everything it detects.

    You may want to be prepared for one possible issue that can result from
    cleaning a machine, as described in this KB article, which you can print in
    case of need after a cleaning run:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 28, 2005