Removing the word SHORTCUT

Ruth

In 98 I had an option to remove the option of when creating a shortcut it
wouldn't say the word 'shortcut'. For the life of me I can't find that
option in XP. I have TweakUI but I can only find removing the arrow not the
word. Does anyone know where I can find this option in XP?
Thanks, I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Will Denny

Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

Ruth

Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
driving me crazy!!
Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

brush-head

Will said:
Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.
Or (and this isn't meant to be sarcastic) you could rename the shortcut
to drop the legend "shortcut to". That way when you do want to make it
abundantly clear as on a shared machine, that it is just a shortcut.

--
Harry Broom

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights"

John Paul Getty 1892 - 1976

David Candy

If you rename three shortcuts just removing Shortcut To the setting gets turned off. The setting starts at 15 and 5 is removed for each rename. Once it hits 0 Explorer no longer prefixes Shortcut To.

Atreju

Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

I'd like to add... make sure you have the latest version of TweakUI
because the first release for XP really didn't do itself justice. The
latest version has lots of improvements.

---Atreju---

Atreju

Hi, thanks, found it, but it was unchecked. So I checked it rebooted, then
unchecked it, rebooted and now it seems to be working. Thanks alot. Was
driving me crazy!!
Hi

Try this:

In Tweak UI go to Explorer, then scroll down the list in the right hand pane
and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

Yeah, sometimes you have to actually change something back again in
order to effect the registry modification you're loooking for.

---Atreju---

Ruth

I've looked at the microsoft site but I can't find the newest version.
Would you know where it is?
Thanks.
pane and uncheck 'Prefix "Shortcut to" on new shortcuts'.

Ruth

Thanks everyone for all your help..problem solved.. :)
"» mrtee «" <hingelicker at new.rr.com> wrote in message
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx the
one you want is on the right hand side "Tweak UI" do NOT download the one
for "Itanium".

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff