Removing from GAC

wes

I just installed VS .Net 2003 and now when I try to remove
something from the GAC I get the error:

Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more
applications
Pending references:
SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION :
<Windows Installer>

These are components I had no problems installing and
uninstalling previously. Does anyone know how I can
uninstall?

Tim Kurtzman

Assemblies get flagged as being 'special' when an installer program places
them in the GAC. The only way you are supposed to remove them is to
uninstall the program
that originally installed it into the GAC.

Baring that, you can open a DOS prompt and go into %windir%\assembly and
find/delete the assembly by hand.

Tim

| From: "wes" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "wes" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Removing from GAC
| Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:31:52 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| I just installed VS .Net 2003 and now when I try to remove
| something from the GAC I get the error:
|
| Unable to uninstall: assembly is required by one or more
| applications
| Pending references:
| SCHEME: <WINDOWS_INSTALLER> ID: <MSI> DESCRIPTION :
| <Windows Installer>
|
| These are components I had no problems installing and
| uninstalling previously. Does anyone know how I can
| uninstall?

wes

I installed these using gacutil from the command prompt.
So I don't know why it thinks they were installed by
something else. That being said, I can remove them by
hand, but don't want this to be a permanent solution.

Tim Kurtzman

I just talked with the developer that works on this stuff. Apparently, this
is a known bug.

All assemblies belong to MSI, even though I installed assembly using gacutil

1) the (Default) name in the registry contains an MSI descriptor
value. This is an MSI bug, but they are not exactly sure how the system
gets into this state. Too hard to understand once system is in this state

Backup your HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Assemblies\Global. Go and
delete the (Default) key under
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Installer\Assemblies\Global

OR

Backup your HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies\Global. Go and
delete the (Default) key under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies\Global

I hope this helps

Tim

wes

That worked. It was in the HKLM and not the HKCU.